This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can Amarok handle 15 or 20 editable tags per song ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alexandre1975
Registered Member
Hello,

I'm a Tango DJ from Paris and Toulouse (South of France),
This means that i have 18000 Titles of Tango in CDs and LPs, which i'm just starting to save on my computer*
Being a good DJ is not easy with 18000 Titles.
It would be important for me to retrieve songs not only from tags like "artist name" or "tempo" or "Style",... But also, from tags like this : "Orchestra size" (trio or wide) or "Rating for ease of dancing"  (In a different column than the standard "Rating" Tag), etc...

Today, i use iTunes on a mac, witch have only about 7 editable "text" tags per song... I would need at least 7 more tags like :

- Singer(s)    (In a different column than "artist" where i'll put the orchestra's director)
- Orchestra size   (Solo, duo, trio, ..., sextet,...)
- Main artist's Country
- Rhythm type   (Tango, vals, polka, etc... )     (In a different column than "style")
- "Rhythm intensity"   (Different than "Tempo")
- Rating for ease of dancing    (Different than the standard "Rating" column) (...important for a DJ!)

- Year of the composition (not of the interpretation)
- Number of singers  ( 0=instrumental )
- in-habitual instrument(s)
- Others musicians names
- Complete date of the recording
- Other Ratings, etc...

I've heard that audio-players using APEv2 tags might handle more parameters, is that right ?

Can Amarok handle 15 or 20 editable tags per song ?

And can i simply convert all my actual itunes library into amarok ?

Thanks a lot,

Alexandre Flet
-----------------
alexf1975 at yahoo ddot fr
mobile: ++ 33 (0) 625 13 70 53

* Actually owning a Titanium 800Mhz but, soon i hope, a new "Santa Rosa" MacBookPro...   (...with Amarok on os X, i hope too.)

Last edited by alexandre1975 on Tue May 22, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Yes, with Amarok 1.4.5 you can assign arbitrary "labels" to each song. It's exactly what you want, I think.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
alexandre1975
Registered Member
Thanks !

And, to understand clearly: Can i view these "labels" in the columns, in the song list, like all the other parameters of the songs ?

And also : This page ( http://amarok.kde.org/amarokwiki/index.php/On_OS_X ) is a bit like chinese for me. If i find a guy at ease with Xcode, will it be rather easy for us to install and use amarok on a mac before October ?  If i create a song library in June with it, will i be able to use it without problems on Amarok 2 for OS X in October ?  Or, Before October, Should i better install linux (on the New MacBookPro i'm buying within 2 weeks) and use Amarok on Linux, more modestly ?