This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

APE playback with Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
macondo
Registered Member

APE playback with Amarok

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:59 pm
Hi all,

Is there some convenient solution that allows to play Monkey Audio (APE) with Amarok. I know that it is supported with GStreamer engine, so it rises the next question - will GStreamer be supported again and when will it be (there were some notes that this support was disabled due to API changes in version 0.10 of GStreamer)?

Is it supported if I build from SVN right now?
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Re: APE playback with Amarok

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:29 pm
There's no support for it since there it wasn't open source until just recently (mostly since the author of APE apparently doesn't understand open source from what I read on his website).The open source library was designed for embedded systems so it will take some work for Xine to have support.

Amarok 1.4 will never have gstreamer support. Amarok 2.0 might via Phonon.

Amarok Developer
macondo
Registered Member

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:47 pm
Based on your answer... What does community do about tons of APE music? The best solution I was able to find is XMMS with some weird SO as a plugin.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:57 pm
Flameeyes (a Xine developer) suggested using demac to convert the APE files back to wav files and then you could compress them into Flac or WavPack.

He also refers you to his blog:
http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org ... nd-backend

Amarok Developer
macondo
Registered Member

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:13 pm
Thanks