This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I Want the Hide Menu function Back!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
johso
Registered Member

I Want the Hide Menu function Back!

Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:08 pm
Hiya

I was extremely disappointed to see the "Hide Menu" function removed. I always had the menu hidden away, it makes Amarok look much, much neater.
Removing it with the reasoning that it confused tons of people doesn't make sense - just remove the shortcut, or create an option in preferences.
Seriously. Minor groups shouldn't be ignored because the major ones don't know how to do something - that's just not cool. Not in any situation. And it doesn't seem much Amarok-y to me.

Anyhoo, is there some way I can get it back? Is it hidden somewhere really good, or is it just gone?
stokedfish
I second this.
sebr
johso wrote:Seriously. Minor groups shouldn't be ignored because the major ones don't know how to do something - that's just not cool. Not in any situation.

Ever heard of the 90-10 rule?

johso wrote:Anyhoo, is there some way I can get it back? Is it hidden somewhere really good, or is it just gone?

Nope, sorry.
kraju
Registered Member
stokedfish wrote:I second this.

Me too. Menu is completely useless.
janc
Registered Member
My vote for this one! :)

If developers are afraid about blowing up configuration options maybe one should consider adding 'user advance level' switch which would hide (and set then to default values) advanced options before inexperienced user... similar to xine or kadu solution.
dangle_wtf
oh gawd, can you *imagine* the sheer volume of support requests this "simple" change would create?!

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
brk3
Registered Member
I really am **** about this too.
It made amarok look so much cooler why why did they have to remove it.
I'm going to look into making a patch to get this feature back could anyone help?

edit: the new version is amazing better in loads of ways and I think we should remember to thank the devs for all their hard work!

Last edited by brk3 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kraju
Registered Member
It's the same situation like with gradient years ago. In one of the previous versions devs decided to put obligatory gradient in context box. It was ugly as hell in some color configurations, of course mine was one of them. This was feature. ;) Tons of forum posts, screenshots, nothing. The official wersion was that gradient was 'eye-candy' and options were too expensive to maintain.

I had been patching amarok for many months to remove this gradient. Version after version. Hopefully, somebody decided to get context customizable with css... (thanks!) :-)

Now we have this menu thing. I don't like menu, it's a waste of precious space. "Menu button" was enough. It really looks like I have to patch every new version and wait for official removal of that "feature".  So, we should start praying for "CTRL+M" or "Disable menu" option. :) For now it's time to prepare dirty fix for this and apply to every other version. Nothing new. ;)

Amarok is so good that it's worth it. Simply amazing piece of code. :)

Last edited by kraju on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf
look on the bright side... you get to put your coding skills to practice, and others don't panic because their menu has magically disappeared. Isn't life grand? ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
brk3
Registered Member
hahahahahaha your hilarious
csousa
Registered Member
OS
What happens tho that little button saying "Menu" that appear when we hide the menu? It didn't work? I think that every user could read "menu" and search for the feature "show menu bar"...
Well, I don't want the new users to make KDE become a Gnome...

But after all Amarok still is the best music player... Congratulations for your work.
muungwana
Registered Member
funny, when i installed the latest amarok, the first and only thing i noticed was the appearing of the menu bar and i coudlnt find an option to hide it. Isnt the "ctrl+m" shortcut used to hide/show the menu bar? shouldnt this be included somewhere in KDE's GUI guide of somesort? konqueror has it, kopete does, what other program has this? ..removing/not having this shortcut just adds to inconsistencies in KDE, afterall, amarok is supposed to be "the music player for KDE", right? ..any person who uses KDE and wants to hide the menu bar, the most obvious thing to do will be to press "ctrl+m" ..who will get confused? the gnome people? windows? mac users? ...

i am sure all it will take is to add something like "menuBar->hide()" somewhere, and a signal someplace to activate the "ctrl+m" shorcut to that function call ..

anybody know where i/we could make these changes?
nhn
KDE Developer
OS
..any person who uses KDE and wants to hide the menu bar, the most obvious thing to do will be to press "ctrl+m" ..who will get confused?

A lot more users than you would expect apparently....

The feature was removed due to us having multiple people on #amarok every single day who could not figure out how to re-enable the menu. (How they had managed to hide it, they could interestingly enough never remember....) Hence it was removed.  It was not deemed something that was worth putting a lot more work into at the time as we were wery close to  release.

Contrary to what most people seem to automatically assume, it was not done to "dumb down the interface", "do a gnome", or "**** off users to teh maxx", but there seemd to be users constantly running into troublebecause of it.

I cannot speak for the other devs here, but it would seem that more people were using this feature than we had expected. So maybe it is worth considering a more elegant solution for 2.0

- Nikolaj
muungwana
Registered Member
I cannot speak for the other devs here, but it would seem that more people were using this feature than we had expected.

its like they say, "the best way to know how people appreciate something is to take it away from them"  :biggrin: :biggrin:

imho, "CTRL+M" is or should be a kde standard shortcut to hide/unhide menu bar and amarok, imho, should support it

..even microsoft is going away from always showing the menu bar by default/or have a way to hide it in vista apps (..just a cheap shot at adding weight to this "feature"  :wink:)

Last edited by muungwana on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brk3
Registered Member
Success! Thanks to Dan for pointing me towards the svn revision where the feature was removed, didn't make it too hard to reverse!
I've rebuilt the feisty package with the feature back in, for those unfortunates who don't use Ubuntu Ive also included a patched source package.
Enjoy! :)

Patched Ubuntu Feisty Package:  http://www.mediafire.com/?elyfme9ltcw
Patched Source Package:            http://www.mediafire.com/?5dt9cuftedx