This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"this file is not in your collection"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
timxyz
Registered Member

"this file is not in your collection"

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:36 am
what does this mean and why is it saying it for every track i play (on the context screen). these tracks are in my collection and appear in the treeview on the collections tab. how can i fix this displaying - is it a database issue?

edit: perhaps related - i also cannot update tags for tracks. amarok doesn't give me any useful information on why this is, it simply says "the tag for the files could not be updated". so i think this might be a database issue - what could be wrong?

Last edited by timxyz on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
That means something is really going haywire ;)

1) What kind of database are you using? (SQLite, MySQL..)
2) On what file system is your $HOME and your music?
3) What Amarok version?
4) What distro?

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
timxyz
Registered Member
thankyou for the prompt reply

1) well SQLite is selected.
2) $HOME is on my internal linux partition, my music is on a NTFS external HDD. i've got an NTFS compatibility thingy as well.
3) amarok 1.4.5 (using kde 3.5.6)
4) ubuntu 7.04

was I supposed to have installed some SQLite compatibility plugin or something similar?
dangle_wtf
could mean that permissions on the external device are not allowing write access to the tracks - this would prevent being able to save tag changes.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
marcel
Registered Member
OS
dangle_wtf wrote:could mean that permissions on the external device are not allowing write access to the tracks - this would prevent being able to save tag changes.

I agree. But it should not prevent files from being added to the collection. I am running my collection off a read-online VFAT partition (of course, the database is in my (ext3) homedir).
timxyz
Registered Member
all my music has write access. for some reason the "this file is not in your collection" message is no longer appearing and i worked out why i couldn't edit tags - the files i was trying to edit were m4a. these are pretty much the only m4a's in my collection and amarok plays them well enough so it didn't register with me immediately that this was the problem. sorry for wasting your collective time! (and i take it m4a tag support is not possible for some reason? if so the editing boxes should really be greyed out)
sanskritter
Registered Member
I had a similar problem which turned out to be the automatic assignment of USB /dev nodes .... I had made a database of the mount point /media/USB2 because my drive was sdb1, however the next time I plugged it in it was sda1 and my mount point became /media/USB1 ... thus mysql found no files.
there seem to be several fixes around.
You can edit your fstab to mount all sd*1 devices to your folder, or you can play with udev rules, as explained here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=511917
personally I balked at the udev scripts, (although mounting by LABEL seems to be an elegant solution) and I just mount the drive manually to my database path.
Hope this helps.