This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Organize Compilation CDs?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Organize Compilation CDs?

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm
Amarok is really good at handling CDs that contain multiple artists. It puts the entire album under "Various Artists", but I believe each song is also available under the individual artist. I have a number of soundtracks and other various-artist CDs ripped as MP3s. If I use the "Organize" feature, it will split the album up and put each song into a directory named for that artist.

Is there any way to tag a CD as being a multiple artist compilation? For right now I've been manually copying those types of discs into my collection, but it would be nice to be able to automatically handle them. Any ideas?
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Re: Organize Compilation CDs?

Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:52 pm
In the "organize files" dialog you can change this behavior. Change the "Filename Format" part (see the preview below) to whatever you want.
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:18 pm
marcel wrote:In the "organize files" dialog you can change this behavior. Change the "Filename Format" part (see the preview below) to whatever you want.

That works if I want to manually change it each time I import a CD that contains multiple artists, and then change it back again afterwards. The only way to make it work is to replace the {%artist/} item with Various Artists/ or something similar. It would be nice if there were a way to tag something as being part of a compilation so that it should be placed in that directory instead of by artist.

Perhaps have another %artist tag that is %artist_or_various or something like that, and have an extra checkbox or textbox to tell it "this item is a compilation" so that it will replace it on the import. Does that make any sense?
wild_oscar
Registered Member

Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:59 am
Yes, it makes perfect sense, I'm with you!
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:21 pm
There is already such a %variable: %albumartist is "Various Artists" for albums marked as compilation.
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:50 pm
Martin Aumueller wrote:There is already such a %variable: %albumartist is "Various Artists" for albums marked as compilation.

Great! How do you mark an album as a compilation?

Also - is there a way to have two different filename format strings, one for compilations one for normal music?

My structure at the moment is:
Normal: /mp3/%artist/%album/%artist - %album - %track - %title.mp3
Compilations: /mp3/Various Artists/%album/%album - %track - %artist - %title.mp3
Singles: /mp3/%artist/%artist - %title.mp3

Basically, it is just to preserve album order in file listings (for the ID3 tag unaware applications). Perhaps I'm being picky, but the CD deck in my car reads mp3s from a disc in alphabetical order by folders, so it's nice to keep the order for albums.
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 pm
For marking an album as a compilation use the right-click menu in the collection browser.

Sorry, but with Amarok you won't be able to store several custom format strings, you will have to re-enter them each time.
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:58 pm
Martin Aumueller wrote:For marking an album as a compilation use the right-click menu in the collection browser.

Is "Show under Various Artists" the option I'm looking for?
dangle_wtf

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:20 pm
yep

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"