This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Bug in KIO::FileCopyJob

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Bug in KIO::FileCopyJob

Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:37 am
So I am using myth2ipod to generate a video podcast of trasnscoded television programs on my local PC. It generates the necessary XML files and serves the media over http (locally).

Each file (approximately 50-100mb) seems to take FOREVER to sync to the iPod. If I click one of the files it downloads really fast. If I copy the file manually to the iPod, it copies fast. Problem is, if I do anything but the HTTP method, the metadata is lost (so it shows up as an unnamed file that you can't browse to on the iPod).

Any suggestions? I am pretty sure that the speed is not being limited by the http server, since I can "wget" the file from myself in a matter of seconds, and copy the files to the ipod in another matter of seconds, but using amarok to sync the podcast takes many minutes.

Last edited by Se7enLC on Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Re: video podcast sync slow

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:34 am
So I compiled the debug version. It didn't help much. When I click "transfer" nothing new shows up (no "starting transfer" or "downloading podcast" or anything, just the same old stuff. When it finishes it just says:

amarok: [IpodMediaDevice] on iPod: :iPod_Control:Music:f18:kpod0951668.mp4, podcast=0x835bba0

amarok: [IpodMediaDevice] Syncing iPod!

amarok: [ThreadManager] Job completed: IpodWriteDBJob. Jobs pending: 0
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Re: video podcast sync slow

Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:57 am
I've tracked the problem down to KIO::FileCopyJob.

Copying a file with FileCopyJob takes approx 5-10 minutes. The same file being copied with wget (URL to local file) takes 6.7 *seconds*. Not sure what the holdup is, but it's actually copying that slowly (I looked at increasing filesizes as it was copying).

Anybody else run into this?
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Re: Bug in KIO::FileCopyJob

Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:45 am
Anybody? Can anyone with a video iPod verify this?
Se7enLC
Registered Member

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:40 pm
Does nobody using Amarok own a video iPod??
dangle_wtf

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:41 pm
I was about to comment that someone else has reported the same problem on the mailing list, but then I realised it was you ;)
I do know that using kde's copy dialogue is slower than a command-line copy, but apart from that, couldn't give any suggestions.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"