This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What are the plans for Amarok and the iPhone? I hate iTunes!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jkay064
Registered Member
Will Amarok be recognizing the iPhone as an iPod in the future?

Thanks!
JK
nagybal
Registered Member
OS
Hi Folks!

I am an iPhone user since the beginning too. I was very curious when will it be solved to be able to use these devices with Amarok. ... I installed a Micro**ft OS only because of the phone, and would like to get rid of it now! :-)

How much longer guys? How much longer... i need to wait? :D

There are "unbricked" iPhones already! Ppl cmon!

Is there a way for protest for these directons of  developeing the software??
Enric Likes Funk ;)
Registered Member
Amarok will be able to work with Iphone or Ipod Touch since the moment libgpod does so. It uses a different technology than other ipods right now... Look for iPhone and gtkpod, for example. I´m not aware of other backends that are working with iphone or ipod touch... good luck

Rokymotion Member. Join the Rokymotion, the Amarok Insane Underground Team.
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
Get Amarok from svn, (pre-1.4.8) compile libgpod 0.6.0, configure your iphone as a manual media device (via Amarok's setting dialog) and mount it via fuse/sshfs over Wi-fi. However, this requires a jailbroken iphone. But transferring music will work.
Enric Likes Funk ;)
Registered Member
Very hackish :)

Rokymotion Member. Join the Rokymotion, the Amarok Insane Underground Team.
nagybal
Registered Member
OS
My jailbroken 1.11 iPhone seems to work with this fuse/sshfs method! Link1  Link2

I have some problems still... i guess they can be solved by setting up amarok...

The problem is that the pre-connect command (is sshfs in this case) keeps Amarok hanging for about 30 seconds on starting up the program if the iPhone hadn't been turned on or had been connected to an other network as my computer is...  Its really annoying. Is there a config file or so to set Amarok not to mount the devices automatically???

thx and sorry for my broken English
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
The ipod media device plugin from current svn won't connect automatically for iphones.

Another way around that is the ipod-convenience package, which includes a mount-iphone script, which pings your iphone before trying to connect to it.
nagybal
Registered Member
OS
Thank u for your answers Mr Aumueller!

I tryed to get this ipod-convenience already, the only problem is, that i dont have apt-get The only page was i could find to donwload the source was this one here!

I downloaded this ipod-convenience_0.3.orig.tar.gz and it seems to be an simple application... But how should i "install" it? Should i just copy the files in my ROOT (/) directory?

Last edited by nagybal on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ipod-touch/ubuntu gutsy main
- add the above line to your /etc/apt/sources.list, if you happen to use ubuntu 7.10. Otherwise, just copying the script anywhere should do it.
nagybal
Registered Member
OS
I have a suse. I like rpm s better :)

I just made it kinda to work now... the ipod-convenience... but i cant get my phone connected in amarok with this method.
And if i try to remove this happens:

bigb@wow:~/ipod-convenience/usr/bin> iphone-umount
fusermount: entry for /media/iphone not found in /etc/mtab
zsh: command not found: killall

:) I think i wait for some suse version of the script. I need to run 'modprobe fuse' after every single system reboot anyway...

thx again