This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Ye olde Volume Control

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
acidzebra
Registered Member

Ye olde Volume Control

Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:04 pm
Okay, I'm stumped. Is Amarok using its own internal volume control that is completely independent from my ALSA controls?

I run mplayer, mythtv and amarok on the same box. I managed to get mplayer and mythTV to manipulate the PCM volume control.
But I can't manage to do the same for amarok.

Is there a way to get amarok configured so it uses the same (arbitrary) controls the other programs use, or failing that, anyone happen to know a way to make mythtv and mplayer to use the same volume control that amarok uses?

Not having consistency in your sound levels can lead to very frustrating situations (i.e. sometimes you get surprised by exceedingly loud sounds or no sound at all)
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Re: Ye olde Volume Control

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:34 am
Once there was an option to switch between external (like using alsamixer) and internal volume control. Now it is internal only.

The only workaround I can think of right now, is turning all internal-mixing apps to 100% volume and using the global Alsa controls for changing the volume.

> Not having consistency in your sound levels can lead to very frustrating situations (i.e. sometimes you get surprised by exceedingly loud sounds or no sound at all)
You might give the replaygain script a try here.
acidzebra
Registered Member
OK, I changed the way I start amarok. I call "alsactl restore" first, then launch amarok. Since I did an alsactl save earlier as root with sane values, the same sane values will always be restored.  :biggrin: