This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Getting started with mp3 player

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
imported-AnneW
Registered Member

Getting started with mp3 player

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:12 pm
I'm fairly happy with setting up playlists, etc., but now I want to attach a usb mp3 player, so that I can transfer playlists to it.  However, I can't work out how to get started.  Should I let hal mount the device before connecting with amarok? I've tried to connect both from a mount and from the device unmounted.  When I hit 'Connect' I'm asked for a pre- and post- command.  I've tried every version I can think of for mounting and umounting, but obviously I'm getting it wrong, as I'm just asked again - and again.  The device is /dev/sde, mounted under /media/disk.

Sorry for such a basic question, but you have to start somewhere :-)

Anne
imported-AnneW
Registered Member
I have got to the stage where it says 'Generic Audio Player (mounted at /media/sde)' which doesn't look right.  Attempting to transfer tracks simply says that it failed.  It really should be mounted at /media/disk.  How do I deal with this?

Anne
dangle_wtf

Re: Getting started with mp3 player

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:02 am
Amarok should work with hal to get everything showing up properly.
The way it works here, if I mount the device outside amarok, it connects in the devices browser automatically.

I have noticed the mount settings in amarok don't seem to work for me, but I get around this by mounting outside amarok. When your player is mounted, have you tried autodetecting devices?

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
imported-AnneW
Registered Member

Re: Getting started with mp3 player

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:15 am
I don't know whether there really was a problem, or whether working too long and late appeared to cause one.  The settings page shows two devices, the first being the one I tried to set up, with the device name.  That doesn't work.  The second one is the Generic entry made by the autodetect, mounting at /dev/sde.  This appears to be working perfectly now.

Thanks for the reply.