This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

play mp3

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fade
Registered Member

play mp3

Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:37 pm
Hi,

I have just installed amarok on my fc5,  when I try to play a mp3, it prompts me for the decoder. I have Helix with mp3 decoder installed on my machine. Can someone guide me how to setup my amarok to use mp3 decoder from helix?

Actually, I install the amarok with "yum install amarok", maybe the built version does not contains the helix engine, do I need to build araok with helix support?

Thank you.
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS

Re: play mp3

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:55 am
As far as I know, Helix needs some plugin to play mp3s, so maybe you should look for that, perhaps there is a package. You can see if amarok was build with an engine's support when you can see it in the engine drop-down list.
I'm using the xine-engine though, you might also give this one a try. (If amarok hasn't been built with xine support on fc5 (I'm not using fedora, so I don't know), just download the sourcecode and compile it yourself, using the good ol' ./configure && make && sudo make install.)
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:32 am
Helix needs RealPlayer to play mp3 :) That is, not RealPlayer itself, but its codecs.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
fade
Registered Member

Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:21 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I set Amarok to use helix engine and it works fine without rebuild it. The UI is so beatuiful!

The only potential bug is when Amarok is open, I can not use RealPlay or Helix Player to play music. It reports that the audio device is used by other applications. Don't know it is a problem in helix or Amarok.