This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Playing Itunes songs in Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
timhunderwood
Registered Member

Playing Itunes songs in Amarok

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:48 pm
Hi I had a large Itunes library on my Windows Computer and recently transferred it to my new Debian PC.. The only problem is that I can't play the songs which I bought of off Istore! How can I get round this, I payed for them so I should be able to play them using whatever I want, right?
Any info appreciated.

Tim

Thanks
kornchild2002
Registered Member

Re: Playing Itunes songs in Amarok

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:06 pm
iTunes Store purchased tracks will not work as they contain DRM.  Files ending with the *.m4p filename mean that they are purchased mpeg-4 AAC audio tracks that contain DRM.  You need to strip them of their DRM before trying to play them with Amarok.  There are two legal methods: 1) Burning the tracks to audio CD then ripping the audio CD to either the unprotected mpeg-4 AAC or mp3 formats.
                                          2) Using a 3rd party app that records the sound being played through your soundcard.  Start the program then start playing the tracks in iTunes.  Save the recording in either the mpeg-4 AAC or mp3 format.