This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

mpeg-4 AAC audio files not playing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kornchild2002
Registered Member

mpeg-4 AAC audio files not playing

Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:15 pm
I am running Amarok 1.4 on my Ubuntu 7.04 on my PS3 which uses the PowerPC core architecture.  I have many, many unprotected mpeg-4 AAC audio files that were encoded with either the iTunes or Nero AAC encoders.  None of them play using Amarok.  I
Googled around for some AAC encoders and found lots of results.  The only problem is that they often pointed me to a website that isn't the same as it used to be (something like audiocore.net or similar) and, when I did find what they were pointing me to, I had to go through and edit some files.  I am extremely new to the Linux scene I don't want to compile something for my OS.  Now, if someone wrote clear instructions (in common terms) then I could go for that.  Most of the instructions just went over my head though.

So, my question is, can someone write or point me to clear instructions for getting Amarok to playback my unprotected (ie no DRM) mpeg-4 AAC audio files?

Edit:  I forgot to mention that Amarok can see all of my AAC track ID information tags just fine.  Amarok is displaying the year, album, artist, and track title of each file just fine.  It just won't play them back.  I get the error message of "Error loading media, there is no available decoder."

Last edited by kornchild2002 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf
usually, xine would be compiled with aac support. can you play mp3? you might have to look for a package named something like xine-extracodecs or xine-nonfree codecs.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
kornchild2002
Registered Member
mp3 files do not play.  In fact, every time I try to play a mp3 file, Amarok crashes and causes my PS3 to freeze.  I tried searching for what you said but I couldn't find it anywhere on my PS3's hard drive.  Is there a place I can download these and install them.  Again, I would prefer not to have to compile something for my OS as I find it really complicated (remember, I am extremely new to the Linux world).
dangle_wtf
ubuntu repositories. or if you're lucky, maybe on your ubuntu cd.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
kornchild2002
Registered Member
Thanks, I will look in those two locations.