This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

need sudo to run amarok in os x

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Glenn Jones
Registered Member

need sudo to run amarok in os x

Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:47 pm
Hi Guys

I have finally managed to get amarok running on my MacBook under os x 10.4.10. You cann't believe how happy I am go get it running. The only problem is I must run it as root or I don't have sufficient permissions. I also get the following errors:

Could not read network connection list:
/Users/Glenn/.DOPserver_glenn-jones-computer.local__0

Configuration file
/Users/Glenn/.kde/share/config/amarok and
/Users/Glenn/.kde/config/kdeglobals
not writable

Could not start process Unable to create io-slave.Permission denied.

Also I have to kill x11 to close amarok. Is there a command to close it?

Has any one encountered this problem before and does any one have any idea how to solve it?

Cheers

Glenn

P.S. I'm interested in helping out with the Amarok project be it only a small part. How do you get involved with the development side of things????
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: need sudo to run amarok in os x

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:10 pm
Glenn Jones wrote:Also I have to kill x11 to close amarok. Is there a command to close it?

Menu -> Engage -> Quit (or CTRL-Q)

Glenn Jones wrote:P.S. I'm interested in helping out with the Amarok project be it only a small part. How do you get involved with the development side of things????

We're very much interested. All new development happens in Amarok2. Here is a guide:

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/2.0_Development_HowTo

You can also talk to us on IRC or on our mailing list. We don't really use the forum for development.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:51 pm
Hm.  I don't get this on OSX - which install guide did you follow?

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Glenn Jones
Registered Member

Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm
all I did was add the unstable trees to /sw/etc/fink.conf and then from the terminal I ran the command

sudo fink install amarok

Even stranger is now I can't open amarok even with sudo. Amarok opens then its killed instantly.

Do you recomend that I remove amarok and then re-install it via fink??
Glenn Jones
Registered Member

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 am
So I couldn't re-install amarok with fink due to too many dependencies.

Anyway I'm currently downloading kde4 alpha with the new version of Amarok as a package for os x. Here is the link to the wiki page http://ranger.users.finkproject.org/kde/index.php/Home

I hope this works??!!!!
dangle_wtf

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:04 am
actually, i was going to suggest reinstalling ;) I used the semi-manual method on the amarok wiki, with some deps needing some extra tlc in fink-commander. I had to make sure absolutely everything was updated, then installed amarok. Compiling the lot only took a few  hours on my current model macbook.

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Glenn Jones
Registered Member

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 pm
Hi guys so I've managed to get the necessary libraries from fink so that I can manually compile amarok based on the osX amarok wiki. However when I run the command

./configure --prefix=/sw --with-qt-includes=/sw/include/qt

I get the following error message:

========================
===  Amarok - ERROR  ==========================================================
========================
=
= Amarok cannot be built because, either the TagLib library is not installed,
= or if relevant, the taglib-devel package is not installed.
= TagLib can be obtained from: http://ktown.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib/
=
==================================
===  AMAROK WILL NOT BE BUILT  ================================================
==================================
=
= Some mandatory dependencies are either not installed or not installed
= correctly. See the Amarok README for help with this issue. Further assistance
= can be found at http://amarok.kde.org or in amarok on irc.freenode.net.
= You will still be able to build other modules from extragear/multimedia.
=
===============================================================================

Any help getting amarok running is much appreciated and I apologies if this has been answered before or its a dead basic question 

Cheers
dangle_wtf

Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:12 pm
I found the appropriate version of taglib in the fink repos - I'll post a bit later and give you the version. I've pretty much decided fink commander is invaluable at times like this!

Glenn Jones
Registered Member

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:54 am
Thanks.
I've installed the latest version taglib which is compatible with amarok. I am however having issues when I try and make and I get the following errors:

ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___udivdi3
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libgcc.a(_udivdi3.o) private external definition of ___udivdi3 in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libgcc_s.10.4.dylib(_udivdi3_s.o) definition of ___udivdi3
ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___umoddi3
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libgcc.a(_umoddi3.o) private external definition of ___umoddi3 in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libgcc_s.10.4.dylib(_umoddi3_s.o) definition of ___umoddi3
ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___divdi3
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libgcc.a(_divdi3.o) private external definition of ___divdi3 in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libgcc_s.10.4.dylib(_divdi3_s.o) definition of ___divdi3
ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___floatdisf
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libgcc.a(_floatdisf.o) private external definition of ___floatdisf in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libgcc_s.10.4.dylib(_floatdisf_s.o) definition of ___floatdisf
ld: multiple definitions of symbol ___floatdidf
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libgcc.a(_floatdidf.o) private external definition of ___floatdidf in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/../../../libgcc_s.10.4.dylib(_floatdidf_s.o) definition of ___floatdidf
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[4]: *** [libamarok.la] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

I am totally at a loss with this and have no idea what the errors are refeing to.

Cheers
illogic-al
Registered Member

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:15 am
have you tried macports? I was having problems with fink for the longest while and switched to macports. Installation just install kdelibs, taglib, musicbrainz, libgpod if you have an ipod (don't know if this works btw) and then download xine 1.2-osx. then compile amarok.

before you do that you can try switching your compiler to gcc3. I don't know how to do that in fink though :-/
I have seen that error before when compiling amarok but a) not since using macports and b) i don't think I ever "fixed" it.
Glenn Jones
Registered Member

Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 am
I've changed to gcc to gcc-3.3 in the Makefile but I'm still getting the same errors???
illogic-al
Registered Member

Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:24 am
you just might kiss me for this  :biggrin:

run 'perl -pi -e "s/-all_load//g" libtool'
then start 'make' again
Glenn Jones
Registered Member

Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:45 pm
Cheers. That did the trick!!! The only problem is that Amarok now dies as soon as I open it is killed and dies.
I get the following:

kio (KDirWatch): KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry for '/etc/fstab' sub_entry: 0x0
kio (KDirWatch): Removed File /etc/fstab [KDirWatch-3]
kio (KDirWatch): KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry for '/etc/mtab' sub_entry: 0x0
kio (KDirWatch): Removed File /etc/mtab [KDirWatch-3]
DCOP: unregister 'klauncher'
kio (KDirWatch): The KLibLoader contains the library kded_kdetrayproxy (0x29b2c30)
DCOP: unregister 'kded'
DCOPServer : slotSuicide() -> exit

To be fair osX is sooo frustrating!!!!!!
illogic-al
Registered Member

Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:00 pm
It's working for me, but again I'm using macports and have had no success with fink.
dangle_wtf

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 pm
Did you follow the hint on the wiki about making sure absolutely everything is up to date? I did a source update-all, to make sure that where there was a binary lagging behind the source, it still got updated.