This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

metadata for read-only data storage devices

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
flamboyant
Registered Member
hi,

as far as i understand, there's no way in Amarok to update tags of, say, mp3-files stored on a dvd. if there is any, please tell me how or give me a link to a how-to.

a substantial proportion of my musical collection is stored on optical discs. unfortunately, some tags there contain incorrect data, and this leads to an unreasonably excess number of artists, albums, etc. Such a collection in itself is harder to use, and consequently, the context tab only shows tracks for one of the different names of an artist, and so on.

can i expect any feature that maintains metadata for read-only files in future Amarok releases? or you think this feature should be implemented in tagging plug-ins for Amarok?

Единая Россия, Microsoft, and the like all must die
Aikon
Registered Member
I think you should copy the DVD to your hard-drive, organize and tag the collection as you see fit, and then burn a new DVD. DVD-Rs cost about $0.25 to $0.50, which is fairly pidly.

-Aikon
dangle_wtf
seconded - I did just that. Cleaned up the tags and directory structure then re-burned.

Some problems with maintaining tags in a db for read-only collections: a) not portable - if you want to listen elsewhere your tags will still be fubar & b) temporary - if your db becomes corrupt you've lost all your changes unless you back up.

If you're going to spend the time cleaning up the tags, you might as well make it permanent. If you don't have a DVD burner, borrow one :)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
flamboyant
Registered Member
thank you for your advice. well, now i know for sure there is and will be no such metadata in Amarok.

Единая Россия, Microsoft, and the like all must die