This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

very ignorant questions from interested sub-newbie

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
willfriedwald
Registered Member
(1) As someone who has absolutely zero experience with linux or unix (or eunuchs), what are the steps involved in running amarok on a Mac?  Is there a guide somewhere?

(2) Does Amarok work with AAC format sound files?  Most of my enormous mega-library is currently in the AAC format.

Thanks!  apologies for my ignorance.

Will
sebr
willfriedwald wrote:(1) As someone who has absolutely zero experience with linux or unix (or eunuchs), what are the steps involved in running amarok on a Mac?  Is there a guide somewhere?

(2) Does Amarok work with AAC format sound files?  Most of my enormous mega-library is currently in the AAC format.

Thanks!  apologies for my ignorance.

Will

1) Yes, but it is not easy or stable, look here: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/On_OS_X

2) Yes
willfriedwald
Registered Member
thanks for the quick response.

(2) am very glad to hear that Amarok works with AAC files...

(1) however, using it in Mac OS X looks way too complicated for a layperson such as myself, who has never used the terminal... if Amarok really is everything everybody seems to say it is, am very tempted to invest in a whole new Linux system...

W
seventyeights
Registered Member
But you don't have to go spending money like crazy. You can download Linux for free, and it will work on most computers found on the side of the road (in the trash).

For example, Ubuntu Linux and Amarok work fine on my worthless 300 mhz PII dell laptop. Faster would be better, but it works.
skunkarific
Registered Member
I'll disagree with the statement that Ubuntu will run acceptably on **** hardware.  I have built approximately 400+ systems using linux last year, and find that the better hardware you get, the better the experience.  Most of my "I want Windows back" customers say that because they either used **** hardware or have had zero training on linux.
seventyeights
Registered Member