This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Love Amarok but finding it a bit 'sluggish'

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bootsbradford
Registered Member
Hi, I am running Ubuntu Feisty and Gnome. I don't know whether this is the reason but I am finding Amarok a bit sluggish in its behaviour.

It always seems to 'Updating Collection' even though 100% is indicated. The clock is nearly always there next to the mouse icon, suggesting it is processing something.

The Last.fm support is there but often takes a while between songs. And it never seems to let me skip tracks, for example.

Is there anything I can do to resolve these problems, or are they just my lot under gnome?
deloco
Registered Member
When I used gnome I too had the feeling that amarok didn't run "round"...
I switched back to kde...
Maybe you should try if it is working in kde.  In Ubuntu you simply can install kde through synaptic. Then at systemstart-prompt just switch the session from gnome to kde. See if amarok runs nice now.
Then start gnome again and see if something happened there too (you never know...).

If amarok don't run in kde also, then it's a heavier problem....

MacBook, 2GHz C2D, 3GB RAMM, 120GB HDD.

Amarok 2.0 Beta from KDE-on-Mac.
bootsbradford
Registered Member
I've tried Amarok on KDE but had all the same problems as on Gnome:
  • Always seems to have the clock symbol next to the mouse icon
  • Always seems to be Updating Collection
  • Last.fm support is slow and not fully supported e.g. clicking on the 'skip song' icon does nothing
  • Generally seems very sluggish

I find it funny that this is the case on both Gnome and KDE. When I first used Amarok at the start of 2007, don't remember having these problems, could an upgrade be the problem?

I'd appreciate any suggestions that people might have. Amarok would be my favourite music player by a long chalk, if only it would run properly for me!

Thanks.
Hans
Administrator
OS
Do you download music (e.g. torrent) to a directory which is in your collection and checked "Watch folders for changes"?

You could also try to move ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok and "start over" with new collection etc. And do the same to ~/.kde/share/config/amarokrc. (If you move the directory/files you'll ave a "backup" of your old configuration)

Don't know if this helps, just some suggestions. Hope you find a solution. By the way, which version of Amarok are you using?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
sultanoswing
Registered Member
bootsbradford wrote:It always seems to 'Updating Collection' even though 100% is indicated. The clock is nearly always there next to the mouse icon, suggesting it is processing something.

This happened to me too, and the problem turned out to be either that amarok was trying to scan non-supported file types i.e. dll's and exe's nested within the watch folder and/or that folder permissions weren't correct. Fixing these two things ended the perpetual 'rescan' CPU hog. If this doesn't work for you, you can always uncheck 'Watch Folders For Changes'. Hope this helps you as it did me!

Arch 3.4.5-1 (x86_64) w/Gnome 3.4.2
ASUS P7P55-E-Pro, Geforce GTX460, i5-750, 8GB
Dell XPS m1330, Geforce 8400M, 4965AGN
HP Folio 13 Ultrabook
bootsbradford
Registered Member
sultanoswing wrote:This happened to me too, and the problem turned out to be either that amarok was trying to scan non-supported file types i.e. dll's and exe's nested within the watch folder and/or that folder permissions weren't correct. Fixing these two things ended the perpetual 'rescan' CPU hog.

sultanoswing, I think this has helped solve all the problems. Amarok was scanning for the wrong folder so I corrected this. I then rescanned the whole collection and it all seems to be fine. It's great because I much prefer amarok to rhythmbox!  :biggrin: