This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

iPhone - can I add and remove music?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gdude
Registered Member
I enjoy how easily I can move music to my shuffle, but now I'm lusting after a newly cheaper iphone. I can activate it elsewhere, but I want (need!) to  be able to add music to it via Amarok. Has anyone done this? Is it as easy as with other devices?

Thanks for your help!
gdude
Registered Member
No one has hooked their iphone up to Amarok?
jodosh
Registered Member
KDE sees my iphone as a camera, but I can't grab pictures from it. Amarok seems to act like it doesn't exist. I am gonna play around and see what I can get it to do
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
If you manage to get it working it won't be easy at all:

Other than a regular ipod, the iphone does not work as a 'usb mass storage device'. This means you can't just mount it as a hard disk. However, it appears that people have managed to hack their iphone so that they are able to install arbitrary software on it, in particular a ssh server. Then it is possible to expose the iphones file system and mount it via fuse as sshfs. On the gtkpod-devel mailing list you could read that the format of the data on the iphone is very similar to an ipod. So they might be able to handle that shortly. As soon as the gtkpod guys have libgpod working with the iphone, you could try to compile Amarok against the updated libgpod and try to get it working.
adaniels
Registered Member
I've mounted /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control to /media/iphone using sshfs. However just copying music to /media/iphone/Music/F?? doesn't work because /media/iphone/Music/iTunesDB isn't updated. According to a blog (I can't find the URL), the iTunesDB file is the same as that of an iPod.

How can I tell Amarok to tread /media/iphone as a plugged in device, or to be precise, as an iPod?
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
You could go to Amarok settings -> Media Devices and set up a "manual" device with the appropriate mount point and the ipod plugin. Then it might work or not.
adaniels
Registered Member
Thanks for that. I'm almost there, but it's not working. If anyone else is playing with this and gets it to work, please reply.

I've mounted /var/root/Media to /media/iphone and than made a symlink /media/iphone/iPod_Control to iTunes_Control. Added the device as suggested by Martin and connected to it. Now the playlist and song show up in Amarok and I'm able to transfer songs to the iphone. Unfortunately the songs do not appear in the song list of my phone. I do not see any obvious reason for it not to work :/, so I'm kind of stuck.
adaniels
Registered Member
After rebooting the iPhone, the songs did show up :). So that's it, first hackisch solution is here.
charlesfinkel
Registered Member
Cool, worked for me too.  I was wondering though if anyone knows how to get photos off of the iPhone?
tribaal
Registered Member
I could make the songs appear on my iphone, but unfortunately they don't make a sound :( I can "play
" the files, but cannot hear them)
I checked al the obvious answers (ruled out the mute, the low volume, broken earphones etc...). Could you provide a more detailed explanation of how you got it to work? thanks a lot.
- trib'
adaniels
Registered Member
I've added a howto on my blog: http://blog.adaniels.nl/?p=50

Photos are located in /media/iphone/DCIM/100APPLE.
drunkencoder
Registered Member
tribaal wrote:I could make the songs appear on my iphone, but unfortunately they don't make a sound :( I can "play
" the files, but cannot hear them)
I checked al the obvious answers (ruled out the mute, the low volume, broken earphones etc...). Could you provide a more detailed explanation of how you got it to work? thanks a lot.
- trib'

I had this problem using gtkpod.  Didn't find a solution, was gonna try Amarok to see if it worked.
just letting you know it aint just you

update: same issue... no sound. the files are there, tho

Last edited by drunkencoder on Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
Could it be, drunkencoder & tribaal, that both of you have firmware 1.1.1 while the others who got it working still have 1.0.2?
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
drunkencoder, I had the same problem as you when I did not mount /var/root/Media but /var/root. The paths stored in the itunesdb on your iphone are wrong then: your phone expects them to be relative to /var/root/Media.