This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

feature request: mySQL pre-loaded!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
willfriedwald
Registered Member

feature request: mySQL pre-loaded!

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:14 am
Am having a **** (that's a mild word) of a time implementing mySQL into Amarok - I understand that mySQL is the key to using the program with very large libraries (like mine) - but it's proving very difficult to get it going!

So, tops on my wish list for Amarok (which looks great so far) would be a version with full mySQL already in it - or maybe at least an easy to use, graphical interface for mySQL without all those terminal command lines...

W
oggb4mp3
Registered Member
That's not entirely true about mysql being better for larger collections.  I did some testing back in the 1.3 days when the databases were under heavy development and found that with a 6,000 track collection, sqlite was just as fast, and in certain cases faster than mysql for certain queries.  Now obviously, your mileage may vary, but don't be so quick to believe the hype that mysql is automatically better.  If the database was 100,000 tracks I'd say you'd be getting there.

IMHO, The only real reason to use something other than the embedded mysql is if you want to share the collection stats with more than one computer.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
willfriedwald
Registered Member
my goodness - I hit 100,000 tracks a LONG time ago -

these are my stats as of April :

----

The Matrix (as of April 2007):
849 GB (let's say 850)
172150 tracks
809.2 days
2935 artists
11561 albums
and two hard-boiled eggs!
(is my Aunt Minnie in here?)

About The Matrix:

right now am over 200,000 tracks / 900 GB - I don't have an accurate count because am still working on implementing Amarok, still using iTunes on Mac OS X, and I almost never load the full library at once.

I am ultimately hoping to to have a library of 3 TB or so running in Amarok - so I guess I would definitely need mySQL for that.

anyhow, am working trying to figure out those terminal commands now.  (I have tried twice, and I hope I don't have to spend a lot of time undoing any damage I might have done in aborted attempts to get mySQL running...)

thanks for the response!

willfriedwald
willfriedwald
Registered Member
actually, forget the link above - it's out-dated and doesn't work ...

here are some other, more pertinent links about my music library and my travails with iTunes, and why I am trying to make the switch to Amarok:

-------------
The latest:

Glenn Wolsey, a really nice bloke from New Zealand, who is the area's leading Mac & Technology blogger (a bloke who has a blog) interviewed me regarding my iTunes library and program situation... here is the link:

Here is another item of interest.  This one is from a German website - apologies if you don't sprechen ze deutsch (neither do I).  This story is also about the iTunes collection.  Just to explain the three photos, the one in the center is my cat (my ex-cat actually - his name was Milton aka "Sluggo") in the middle of part of my CD collection.  The other two are shots are from the highlight of my musical career, playing baritone sax in the 2005 NYC Halloween parade.  It was too dark for me to get a clear picture at night, so these two shots are me in costume in my apartment.  (It's me, I promise, not Bert Lahr or even Tiger Woods.)  The only reason they let me play in the parade is because I was the only guy they could find who was big enough to carry a low-A bari and also fit into the costume!

oggb4mp3
Registered Member
Holy ****.  Is there a reason why you have so much music or is it just an obsession?
willfriedwald
Registered Member
both - it is a major obsession, but it's what I write about for a living. (google my name if you like : Will Friedwald)

Anyhow, that's why I need Amarok and I need mySQL, because there's no way I can do what I need to do in iTunes - I need a music database/player that can handle 200K tunes or more!  Am anxious to help the amarok team, if they want to test the program on a library of two or three TB.

Will