This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Persistent lyrics? (Feature request?)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Dunhausen
Registered Member

Persistent lyrics? (Feature request?)

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:15 pm
You know, I love the lyric scripts for Amarok, but they sure take a while to grab lyrics, and it would be awful nice, if after they did so, that they didn't need to do so again every time a song is played.

It would also be nice to still have the lyrics when I don't have an internet connection.

Is there anyway to turn on caching for this?  It seems like Amarok only caches album art.

Best of all would be to save the lyrics to the metadata in the mp3 files.  Right now, that what I end up doing (by hand! grr!) if I want to always have lyrics available in Amarok.

Thanks!
Stifi
Registered Member
There are various scripts for the purpose. Eg Local Lyrics

Best of all would be to save the lyrics to the metadata in the mp3 files. Right now, that what I end up doing (by hand! grr!) if I want to always have lyrics available in Amarok.

There is a script doing this for you: Lyrics ID3
Hans
Administrator
OS
Which version of Amarok do you use? I think lyrics caching was introduced several versions ago.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
dangle_wtf
Amarok does store fetched lyrics in the database, but doesn't write them to the id3 tag unless you do it yourself - if you want to permanently keep them, but don't want to use the above script, simply copy/paste the lyrics into the lyrics tab in the tag editor.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Dunhausen
Registered Member
@Stifi:
I thank you much for the scripts (I was aware only of those on the Wiki page)  but they address somewhat different problems.  They would be helpful only if I already had the lyrics saved as text files.

I still want to use Wiki-lyrics to get the lyrics, but then I would like to permanently save them in some amarok-retrievable way.  Granted, I could do that with the second script you posted to save the lyrics, but I can already go to Edit Tag in Amarok and copy/paste lyrics to mp3 metadata and Amarok will auto-fetch them next time, but having to do things manually is the actual problem I'm trying to address--it's very tedious to do that for an entire music collection!

@Hans Chen:
I am using Amarok 1.4.3.  It will cache lyrics if I manually add them, and always gets them if they are saved to the metadata of the mp3 files, but does not appear to permanently retain them otherwise.

@dangle_wtf:
That's what I've been doing when I need to... but doing it for xx,xxx many songs is not an interesting pastime.  :p

As an update, there turns out to be a standalone command line version of the wiki-lyrics script, so I guess what I could (and probably will) do is write a bash script to transverse all the directories and dump the downloaded lyrics to text, and then I'll be able to use one of scripts Stifi posted to have Amarok use the output.

Hopefully the lyric sites will not hate me too much for doing that.  :rolleyes:
Stifi
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:Amarok does store fetched lyrics in the database, but doesn't write them to the id3 tag unless you do it yourself - if you want to permanently keep them, but don't want to use the above script, simply copy/paste the lyrics into the lyrics tab in the tag editor.

Did I miss something. If I paste lyrics in the Lyrics Tab in the Tag Editor and Click save, they are not stored in the ID3 tag -- just in the database. To verify this, I use kid3 (which supports ID3v2.4 in the acutal version). I use the actual 1.4-SVN version with some patches of my own. Do I have to enable some (build)options or did I "patched the feature away"?
Dunhausen
Registered Member
For any who like, here is my script to download all the lyrics for your collection:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

find . -name "*.mp3"  | while read FILENAME;
do

ARTIST="`exiftool  -Artist "$FILENAME" -p '$Artist'`"
TITLE="`exiftool  -Title "$FILENAME" -p '$Title'`"
ALBUM="`exiftool  -Album "$FILENAME" -p '$Album'`"
YEAR="`exiftool  -Year "$FILENAME"  -p '$Year'`"
DIRECTORY="`exiftool  -Directory "$FILENAME"  -p '$Directory'`"

ruby /home/pimeson/.kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts/wiki_lyrics/cli/wikilyrics.rb -a $ARTIST -t $TITLE -l $ALBUM -y $YEAR --sites AZLyrics,BaiduMP3,Giitaayan,Jamendo,LeosLyrics,Lyrc,LyricWiki,LyricsDownload,LyricsMania,Lyriki,NotPopular,SeekLyrics,Sing365,TerraLetras -k > "$DIRECTORY/$TITLE.txt"

done

I've not tested it on many files, though. :p

You should change /home/pimeson to your own home directory if you use it. (and, of course, you need to have the wiki-lyric script and exiftool installed!)  It will save a text file with the name of the song found in the .mp3 metadata to the directory in which the file exists.  Then you can use the Local Lyrics script to load the lyrics.

Caveat: It will also save the null results if you don't find lyrics.  So if the lyrics script prioritizes local files (I don't know) then for those you would always get the null results.

Hmm....

Last edited by Dunhausen on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.