This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Streaming 'BBC .ram' problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sanskritter
Registered Member

Streaming 'BBC .ram' problem

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:06 am
My Amarok 1.4.7 install, in kde 3.5.8 on a  2.6.20-16-realtime kernel is choking on a .ram stream
I get about 3 minutes of streaming before it stops.
the link is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram
which amarok saves as: rtsp://rmlive.bbc.co.uk/bbc-rbs/rmlive/ ... &SSO2-UID=
I can put it on repeat, which keeps things moving along, albeit with a 3 second re-connection pause, but that is not going to cut it in the end.
I really don't want to install realplayer, but I haven't found anyway to tweak it .....
any ideas?

Mark_UK
Registered Member

Re: Streaming 'BBC .ram' problem

Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:56 pm
HI . i tried that link in Amarok and it did'nt play.. but i am listening now on Realplayer..
i would guess that Amarok cant acces the realplay codecs, but i am just guessing. best use Realplay.

i use the "MediaPlayer conectivity" plugin for Firefox and simply point the .ram extensions to  /usr/bin/realplay
hope this helps ?
Mark
sanskritter
Registered Member

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 am
Thanks for the reply.
I Can get realplay to work, and I have the helix plugin on firefox .. so I can listen whenever I need to!
The problem is an Amarok one ...  I'm not sure if it is even supposed to support helix or not, but I remember using alien to debianise (is that a word?) an rpm promising helix support some time back ... and indeed it starts streaming, but as mentioned in my initial post it stutters and dies after some minutes .... I then uninstalled the alien helix package and it still streams, so I assumed the support was native now. If not, it would be a good idea!
S.

dangle_wtf

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:29 pm
You can use the codecs from the realplayer package with the helix engine in amarok, if that's any help to you. This gives you support for mp3 and some other proprietary codecs. Simply replace the three directories that contain helix codecs (sorry, I don't have it installed at the moment) with the realplayer ones. Someone else should be able to give you a clue where they are if you can't hide them.

Of course this assumes your distro compiles amarok with the helix engine available...

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"