This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: True gapless playback

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
weadley2004
Registered Member
I am enjoying Amarok as a player, with this being the only material exception.  I am looking for gapless playback of FLAC files particularly.  I am using the xine engine, but would switch to another engine for gapless playback, as long as I don't lose overall sound quality.

If I should enter feature requests somewhere else, please let me know.  The forum description seemed to indicate this was the place.
PeterB
Registered Member
It is allready true gapless for me with flac-files and xine so something is wrong with your setup.
weadley2004
Registered Member
How do you have Amarok configured to achieve this? 

I have Amarok Playback set for no Crossfading and no Fadeout, which didn't work.  I tried activating Crossfading with the lowest possible time interval and that produced loud clicks in between tracks.

Not sure this is relevant, but I have xine configured with alsa, and I have alsa configured to upsample from 44100 to 48000.
hvidgaard
Registered Member
Are you sure your mp3's are gapless? many encoders pad silence to fill the last frame (iirc) - anyway, make sure your files are in fact gapless, I have no problem either.

And why do you resample? Your music most certainly 44.1KHz, and you soundcard / reciever can handle that perfectly... Resampling only lowers quality.
eean
KDE Developer
OS

thread split

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:05 pm
The upsampling discussion has been moved to http://amarok.kde.org/forum/index.php/topic,14732.msg20669.html.

At least change the subject if you start going off-topic. :)

Amarok Developer
weadley2004
Registered Member
As currently truncated, the progress of this thread isn't clear.  Here is a wrap-up post to remedy that.

I'm using FLAC files and they are gapless.  I can play them gapless on my iRiver and my PC with foobar2k.  So I do not believe gapless files are an issue.

An earlier poster suggested CPU may be the culprit and I think they are right.  There are three primary aspects to the CPU consumption for me I think:
* I am running on an old Linux machine
* Amarok's CPU utilization spikes when it starts a new song
* Use of upsampling (at best quality) increases overall CPU utilization

When I reduce the quality of the upsampling, or eliminate it entirely, I get gapless playback in most cases.  So in my case the issues with gapless playback have to do with CPU consumption.