This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Empty Genres

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
distrex
Registered Member

Empty Genres

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:04 pm
I was just wondering, I have alot of songs that don't have any genre associated with them, would there be any way to automatically have the correct genre assigned to them, sort of like the cover manager.
dangle_wtf

Re: Empty Genres

Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:07 pm
Not with amarok - there's no repository for genre, which is generally considered an arbitrary label. You could look at the script which synchronises last.fm tags though - that would give you at least a starting point for smart playlists based on label instead of genre. From there, you can batch-assign genres.
The script should be available on http://kde-apps.org

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
qurk

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:21 pm
That was a great suggestion.  I can vouch for that script as well.  Sometimes I get into the mood for a particular genre of music, so I try to think of an appropriate adjective to describe that genre and make a smart playlist to find the songs which I've listened to, to which someone on last.fm has assigned that tag.  I have the script set up to download as many tags as I possibly can, which is 100 think, so by now I have literally thousands of tags from last.fm in my collection.db, but I don't mind.

My only caveat is that Amarok doesn't really utilize the "labels" in many ways, I've found that smart playlist is really the only way to do this, which is sortof tedius.  Can't have everything though, I don't mind at all. 

For example a few weeks ago I did this for the adjective "mellow", and it came up with like 500-600 songs I've listened to which last.fm pulled a tag of "mellow".  Was a good playlist :)

The only downside to that script is that it allows ALL last.fm tags, which aren't always the genre.  Still, a great place to look if you are trying to figure out what to put into the "genre" tag.  Also if you have that script set up only to get like the top 10 most popular tags on a song it'd probably make your organization simpler, as that is the most common way people tag songs.  Myself, I just tag whatever adjectives to songs pop into my mind, and I like reading all the tons of ways people tag stuff :)
acidzebra
Registered Member

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:51 pm
Heh, I have that set too - pull in massive amounts of labels from last.fm and then build weird smart playlist. People use the craziest tags.

I do wish there were some easier ways to mass-update labels.