This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

again on the rating

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lorenzotrojan
Registered Member

again on the rating

Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:47 am
I like the idea of a rating that depends on how long I listen to a song, but I rarelly skip songs and I end up with all the songs rated >90...

would it not be better if as well as on "for how long", the rate depended on "how osten" I listen to a song? I mean, there may be a song that I dislike and never play but still has a rating of 88 cause I played twice two years ago...

cheers
L
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: again on the rating

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:10 pm
Well, you can write your own score script if you want. You may want to take a look at the default score script, and this one.

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
qurk

Re: again on the rating

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:05 pm
Ior, I've spent a lot of time thinking about the same thing you have as well, being as all my stats just always go up up up up heh.  I decided on a course of action you may be interested in as well.

Well, my reasoning was that over time my tastes in music have been changing in cycles of a few months for the most part, so I decided to go in on the 11th of each month and subtract exactly 1 from the rating of every song in my collection.  I spent a few hours researching sql syntax and made a backup of my collection.db, then tried a few things.  It worked great, and since then the stuff I've been listening to the most, most recently, end up being at the top of my ratings.

The thing is, and the reason I can't tell you the specific commands (they were pretty darn simple, in fact I found some forum post which had some guy asking how to do almost exactly what I wanted to do with lots of helpful suggestions), because like a fool I forgot to bookmark that page or any of the commands I had used.  And this is why I didn't do it this last 11th, but I intend to do a little learning again and figure out that command.  It was actually extremely simple to do once I did a little reading and googling into the sql commands.  I have every intention of being ready next week on the 11th and from now on I may only do this every couple months, I just want to get into a pattern.  I was thinking of making a script, but hey I'm only a programmer by hobby for fun :)

Anyways, this is just an idea.  There are probably downfalls to an approach like this but for my listening style where I rarely don't listen to a song in it's entirety, even if I don't care for it (I usually just don't listen to it if I don't care for it), I think it'll work pretty good for me.  One possible downfall is that the formula Amarok uses to change the rating at the end of each play takes the playcount into consideration, so subtracting 1 from a the rating of a song you've only listened to a few times is probably has dramatically different effects in some ways, compared to subtracting 1 from the rating of a song you've listened to 50 or 100 times.  In any case, this is another reason I decided to only do this procedure every month (or two now that my forgetfulness forced it :) )