This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Visualisation on a seperate display

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tom17
Registered Member

Visualisation on a seperate display

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:03 pm
Hi,

I have been browsing the forums for a wee while and have not seen anything similar to what I want to do. I have probably just missed it.

I have my PC set up with seperate screens such that the default screen (:0.0) is the main desktop, and the TV is set up to :0.1.

Is there any way I can run Amarok on my default display, but then get it to display visualisations on the TV (display=:0.1)? I would like this so that the TV can be just for visualisations while listening to music, but Amarok can be controlled from the main display or another remote display (liek my laptop).

Cheers,

Tom...
dangle_wtf
you might be out of luck if you're using opengl visualisations... as far as I know, it's not possible to run gl stuff on the second display using either twinview or xinerama. Someone who's tried this might be able to give better info though.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Tom17
Registered Member
Well i'm not sure if I am using xinerama or what. I just have an xorg.conf with multiple screens defined. Am using Ubuntu 7.10.

OpenGL stuff is working on my TV (:0.1) so i don't think there is a prob there, I was just hoping there was a way of exporting DISPLAY=localhost:0.1 just for the visualisations window. I guess the visualisation would need to be running in a different process to allow this. Dunno if it does that or not.

Is it worth me mentioning this in the features suggestions part of the forum?
dangle_wtf
If you're running kde, try right-clicking on the title bar of the visualisation window and playing with "window settings" (I think it's called). You might be able to send to a different screen there somehow - if this is possible then the next step would be to somehow make it persistent so that vis launches on the second display.

I doubt you'd get any joy mentioning it as a feature request for now - might pay to wait and see what kde4 can do...

edit: will probably depend on whether kde can communicate between different sessions - you can use dcop this way, so it could be possible.

Last edited by dangle_wtf on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"