This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ipod database management - a column attribute in the collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wild_oscar
Registered Member
The thing that - in my opinion - keeps amarok from being the perfect audio player is its not perfect integration with the ipod.

In iTunes, you have a column in your music collection with a checkbox. Simply put, everything that is checked will be synchronized with the ipod. If you want one song (or album) on your ipod, just remove the check from the checkbox.

This is a great way of organizing music when your ipod (or any other mp3 player, for that matter) has a smaller capacity than your music collection.

Would this be too difficult to implement on amarok?
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
I don't think that this is necessary: just add a custom label, like 'ipod', to the songs you want to copy to your ipod and create a smart playlist with that label and synchronize that.
wild_oscar
Registered Member
Martin Aumueller wrote:I don't think that this is necessary: just add a custom label, like 'ipod', to the songs you want to copy to your ipod and create a smart playlist with that label and synchronize that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that will only work uni-directionally, right?
Example:
My library is 12 songs big. Ipod's capacity is 10 songs. I already have 10 songs there. Even if I tag 10 songs of my library as "ipod", it will not check if the 10 songs I have on the ipod have the same tag and replace the ones without the tag with the ones on my library with the tag.
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer
If you use 'synchronize playlist to device' instead of 'copy playlist', then it should also remove tracks from your ipod. But this feature is not so well-tested, I think.