This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Recursive playlists?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mysh
Registered Member

Recursive playlists?

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:32 pm
Hi!

I started using Amarok a couple of months ago, after having spent years using the outstanding Apollo mp3 player on Windows (http://koti.welho.com/hylinen/apollo/). I love the context tab in Amarok - that in and of itself has made the switch very happy for me!

One thing that I really miss from Apollo, though, is the capability to have recursive playlists, i.e., playlists that contain other playlists. So, for example, I always have an "Artist.m3u" that looks like so:
Artist - First Album.m3u
Artist - Second Album.m3u

In Apollo each of the contained playlists is then shown a little indented, and with total playlist time on the line with the playlist, something like this:

Playlist                                              3:00:00
  Artist1                                              2:00:00
    Artist1 - First Album                    1:10:00
      Some song                                  0:05:24
    Artist 1 - Second Album              0:50:00
      Another song                              0:04:32
  Artist2                                              1:00:00
    Artist2 - Debut Album                    1:00:00

etc.

Does Amarok have this feature carefully hidden somewhere?
If not, could the developers please consider this as a feature request?

Thanks,
~mysh
Hans
Administrator
OS

Re: Recursive playlists?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:24 pm
Why make playlists? Try the "Collection" browser, and use the tree view. You can choose to group by Artist/Album for example.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
hvidgaard
Registered Member

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm
If the "Collection" browser isn't made more customizeable, I can surely see this being usefull, as it gives you complete control.

I myself currently have an album, 2 disc, disc 1 with songs by the artist and disc 2 with songs remixed by the artist. That album should be listed under "Trentemoeller", but it currently under VA, and if I select "Do not show under VA" only the first disc is placed correct, the other is scattered in 10 places or so.

A simple, yet elegant, solution would be to support an "Album Artist" tag, and that can be done with minimum effort.
mysh
Registered Member

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:14 pm
Hans Chen wrote:Why make playlists? Try the "Collection" browser, and use the tree view. You can choose to group by Artist/Album for example.

That sorts the albums alphabetically, not chronologically...
Secondly, playlists allow me to collect songs/albums by any grouping I choose, not just by the ones provided by the tool. For example, in my Radiohead playlist, I also have Thom Yorke's Eraser. The collection browser doesn't let me do that, as far as I can tell.

Incidentally, after posting my original post, I realised that the Amarok playlist view doesn't even allow the track length to be displayed - is that right, or am I missing something here?

Cheers,
~mysh
dangle_wtf

Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:34 am
that's what smart playlists are for...

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
mysh
Registered Member

Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:20 am
Hmmmm... thanks for the tip on Smart Playlists (there's a nice tutorial on them here: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Dynamic_Playlist_Walkthrough ). That's certainly better than having to re-build playlists every time, but still nowhere near the fine customisability of making my own playlists. Still, it'll tide me over until I have time to try to modify the code myself...

Thanks,
~mysh