This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

LIRC to control Amarok in (K)ubuntu - install problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Araj
Registered Member
I'm trying to run LIRC on (K)ubuntu Feisty to support a Creative CIMR 100 remote receiver on com1 of my trusty old Thinkpad T22. The idea is to get the remote to control Amarok.

I've been trying to get it going for 2 days with no success, despite studying the LIRC documentation and numerous how-tos, including the one from Mike Diehl in this forum

At the end of installing, I got the message "You will have to use the suitable kernel driver to access /dev/ttyS0 " - erm, which "suitable kernel driver" and how do I activate it ? A kernel driver is something which I have no experience whatever with.

The only way I can get any response from irw is by running with the --nodaemon option, which returns

root@araj-laptop:/home/araj# lircd --nodaemon
lircd: lircd(creative) ready
lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd: readlink() failed for "/dev/lirc"
lircd: No such file or directory
lircd: could not create lock files
lircd: caught signal
Terminated

It's true there's no /dev/lircd directory - but if there's meant to be, why wasn't this created in the install? I tried 2 new compile/configuration/installs but no /dev/lircd directory is created. Do I need to create it manually? And what's supposed to be in it?

irexec returns

root@araj-laptop:/home/araj# irexec
irexec: could not connect to socket
irexec: Connection refused

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and Linux in general, so please forgive me if I'm missing what may be obvious to those with a bit more practise.

Thanks in advance for any help !
marcel
Registered Member
OS
Using LIRC is real pain. Search the web, you should be able to find many howtos to set up LIRC. Given my experience, it always never works with built-in IR interfaces as your laptop might have.