This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

just a few newbie questions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
saltandblues
Registered Member

just a few newbie questions

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:04 am
Hi, I'm new to Linux and just getting into Amarok, already liking it a lot. Back on Windows I had to run everything through mp3gain and MusicBrainz before ever letting it hit iTunes, and as far as I can tell, mp3gain and MusicBrainz are built into Amarok.

My question is, how do I use MusicBrainz to get the correct tags, or does it do so automatically? I listen to some really obscure stuff, so I need to know how to search manually, too (if possible).

And how do I use mp3gain, or does it does so automatically? If so, I don't need to know how to do so manually.

Also, how do I add album art to new music files? Preferably a method that would allow me to change an album at a time.

Can I group compilations anywhere?

Lastly, can/does Amarok keep music folders organized? By this, I don't mean organizing files inside the program, but actually creating/removing folders based on artist and album, like iTunes does.

Thanks for the help!
futwick
Registered Member

Re: just a few newbie questions

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:26 pm
I'm also a relative newbie to Amarok, but here's what I've found...

On an individual track, right-click and select Edit Track Information.  Select the Tags tab and there is a button labelled Fill-In Tags Using MusicBrainz.

As for mp3gain, I found a ReplayGain plug-in in Script Manager - is this what you were meaning?  I use Mp3Gain because it changes the volume of the tracks, this is different to ReplayGain which sets a flag in the file and then your player adjusts its volume at playback (during replay).  Relatively few players support ReplayGain  - for example my Creative Zen Touch does not which is why I still use Mp3Gain (I've found it runs very well under Wine on Ubuntu Gutsy).