This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Songs renamed in Amarok display as garbage on MP3 player

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
skippy786
Registered Member
I searched around to see to find another thread about this, but couldn't. Sorry if it's old news...

I've just started using Amarok to manage my music library. I changed the titles/artists of some of the songs and then uploaded them to my mp3 player. The changed items display as Japanese characters or blocks on the player, and the stuff that hadn't been changed shows up fine.

Any ideas/ways to fix?

Kubuntu Gutsy
Coby mp3 player
iwakun
Registered Member
Same Problem here.  Here are a few of the troubleshooting/testing steps I took:

When songs are changed on a separate id3 editor (kid3 in this case--utf8 encoding set) and then transferred directly to the device the encoding is fine.

Media player settings are specified to display id3v2 tags.

When I change a part of the encoding through Amarok (even if it's just the Year) then when it's transferred, it displays as garbage.

Becasue id3v1 doesn't support strange encodings, I set the id3v1 tag as English text (romaji) and the id3v2 tag to the native Japanese (kanji).  When edits are made in Amarok, it seems to rewrite the id3v1 tag with the contents of the id3v2 tag (this is probably a separate issue, but still annoying)

Is it possibly related to this bug? http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=139722
Perhaps to this topic? http://amarok.kde.org/forum/index.php/t ... 972.0.html
iwakun
Registered Member
Okay, I think I figured out the problem.  My mp3 player doesn't do id3v2.4 utf-8 encoding for some reason.  It does utf-16 just fine, so maybe I'll see if I can write some kind of script that will change the encoding to utf-16 before it copies it to the media player.

Or I'll just pray for a firmware upgrade or save my money for a new player.