This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 1.4.8 and the iPhone

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pittstains
Registered Member

Amarok 1.4.8 and the iPhone

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:16 pm
Hi,

A friend of mine just switched to Amarok and told me it supports the iPhone.

I have an uncracked iPhone (and I don't intend to crack it), and I'm running Ubuntu 7.10.  Do you need to be running Amarok on another OS or need to have cracked the phone in order to get it working with Amarok?

Thanks,
Pitt
Enric Likes Funk ;)
Registered Member

Re: Amarok 1.4.8 and the iPhone

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:54 am
Hi pittstains, and welcome to the Amarok forum! Even though you were so impatient to make a new thread before googling for iphone amarok, i'll point you to this (reliable) website
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Porta ... ces/iPhone which says that your iPhone must be jailbroken in order to use non-iTunes apps to work with it. So, no, you can't. Either you use iTunes or help your iPhone...

Rokymotion Member. Join the Rokymotion, the Amarok Insane Underground Team.
pittstains
Registered Member

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:07 am
Enric Likes Funk ;) wrote:Hi pittstains, and welcome to the Amarok forum! Even though you were so impatient to make a new thread before googling for iphone amarok, i'll point you to this (reliable) website
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Porta ... ces/iPhone which says that your iPhone must be jailbroken in order to use non-iTunes apps to work with it. So, no, you can't. Either you use iTunes or help your iPhone...

Thanks, Enric.  Actually I did quite a bit of Googling on the iPhone and even saw the link you posted before making my post.

I guess I was just hoping someone had found a way to use the iPhone with a non-iTunes app.  I've seen a lot of websites that say "here's one way to use your iPhone on Ubuntu -- start by jailbreaking the phone," but I haven't seen anything that says the only way to use it on Ubuntu is to jailbreak it.  I guess it's hard to prove a negative, though.
Enric Likes Funk ;)
Registered Member

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:04 am
You have to jailbreak it in order to use it with non-iTunes apps, be it on Ubuntu or any other distro. There are cool apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch, maybe it's worth jailbreaking it...

Rokymotion Member. Join the Rokymotion, the Amarok Insane Underground Team.
runsnbunsn
Registered Member

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:56 pm
jailbreaking your iphone DEFINETLY is worth it, there are really lots of applications you can use then, and the iphone functionalities are exdtended too . . .

i'm just playing around with amarok support too, but it doesn't look like it's well supported right now, will tell more if i work it out
nagybal
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:41 am
I found the how to in the amarok wiki for the iPhone: http://www.fredemmott.co.uk/blog_121

I just cant get the line #19:

sudo lsusb -v -d 05ac: | grep iSerial | awk '{print $3}' | cut -b1-16  | xargs printf "FirewireGuid: 0x%sn" > SysInfo

What is this doing?