This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Server Amarok - Mysql and NFS

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stolzi
Registered Member

Server Amarok - Mysql and NFS

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:55 pm
Hello,

i wanted to ask if it is possible to make this server-client variation:
I want to have the music on my server, because there are more than one clients which should have the possibility to use the music files. So this would be best in my opinion: On the server runs amarok and fills the mysql database. The clients use the data from the mysql database and have the files under the same location like the server. This way only the server must crawl the music files (it would be not very good if every client makes this work over network: 200GB!).
Now i see two problems: Is it possible to give amarok the mysql table without let him crawl the music? Is it enough not to set:  "monitoring changes"? And the bigger problem: There is no X running on the server! Is it possible to let amarok make this work without X on the server (fill the mysql databse)?

Ones more:

1. Server with mysql database and amarok without frontend which only fills the database
2. Normal amarok clients which have the files under same location in filesystem and have a normal Amarok running and get the collection from the mysql database from server

Thanks
Stolzi
dangle_wtf

Re: Server Amarok - Mysql and NFS

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:09 pm
have a look at the amarok wiki's mysql page for tips on this sort of setup.

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_HowTo# ... L_Database

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
gwrtheyrn
Registered Member

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:58 am
try this

http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/

firefly / mt-daapd is supported by amarok and even has a nice webinterface. and if you forward the right port in your router, you can even listen to the songs over the internet :D
stolzi
Registered Member

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:08 pm
Thanks dangle_wtf. So i wanted to make it. But it was no help on the question if it is possible to scan the files on the server without X? It makes not much sense if the clients scan the files in my opinion. The server is always running and has more time to scan this way and at all its much more time to scan over network, than if the server scans on the same machine. Any solution for this?

Thanks
Stolzi
dangle_wtf

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:48 pm
you need to run amarok to scan the collection - so, as the page says, one of your clients would be the "master" client, if that makes sense. All the server would be for is actually storing the music files and hosting the database.

So basically, no, as long as you're not using the server to run amarok, you don't need X

Last edited by dangle_wtf on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"