This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[feature request] Memcached

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
PreviousN
Registered Member

[feature request] Memcached

Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:32 am
I was wondering if there was some way a person/group of people could help me out with memcached and amarok? I've got a big database and a dedicated mysql server (mostly for audio recordings of lectures, interviews, etc.) and my sql server isn't all that fast, but does have some ram to spare.

Here's a synopsis of what memcached is from their website:
http://www.danga.com/memcached/

memcached is a high-performance, distributed memory object caching system, generic in nature, but intended for use in speeding up dynamic web applications by alleviating database load.

Danga Interactive developed memcached to enhance the speed of LiveJournal.com, a site which was already doing 20 million+ dynamic page views per day for 1 million users with a bunch of webservers and a bunch of database servers. memcached dropped the database load to almost nothing, yielding faster page load times for users, better resource utilization, and faster access to the databases on a memcache miss.

I guess the idea would be that sql calls would be told to pull from memcache, and sql doesn't have to query the hdd every time. I guess. I'm not very adept at mysql or coding or anything. Someone just suggested it to me and I liked the sound of it. Thought it could be cool to request it.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: [feature request] Memcached

Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:58 am
Sounds interesting. I'm not a database expert though, so let's wait for a more qualified reply.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
fabian3
Registered Member

Re: [feature request] Memcached

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:31 pm
Why not configure the MySQL-server to use the spare mem, that should help too?