This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why increase the play count after listening for some secs?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Nukm
Registered Member
I find the play count statistic feature very interesting and wondered why it increases even if u skip the track after the first few seconds... imho it should only be increased if u have listened to x% (maybe 50%) of the track...
shouldnt be hard to implement and right now i cant see any reason for the current way of counting...
imported-Zeltak
Registered Member
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Why not use the Score instead, which does exactly what you want.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Nukm
Registered Member
Mark Kretschmann wrote:Why not use the Score instead, which does exactly what you want.

erm, no.
well, the score is depending on whether i skip the track or not etc, yes. but the score is a dynamic rating system, so in the end it tells me amaroks best guess if i like the track. thats not what the play count is for.
the play count on the other hand tells me something different. it tells me how often i listened to a certain track. thats its function, nothing else, or am i wrong?
now if it increments every time i only listen to some seconds, it doesnt really do what it is supposed to do.
2 examples:
- in one of my dynamic playlists i have a rule "if never played" (same for the filter in one of the last blog entries, it was something like "havent played in the last 30 days) now if i so far skipped the track, i dont know it, i have never listened to it. so i want to get it into my playlist... if i would want to filter out tracks that i propably dont like, i would use rules with some score/rating abrrier.
- the statistics become unreliable. i would like to know how much tracks i actually listened to so far. or what the overall amount of time is i listened to music in amarok. or i would like to see if i listened to band a more than band b, even if my (current) rating/score is better for band b... could go on and on....

hope you actually consider this, because i just see advantages and no disadvantages... (or why should i want to count how many times i missclicked or shuffeled a track if i didnt actually listened to it?)
dangle_wtf
combine the two - tracks you haven't played in last 30 days, with a score of greater than n.

To be honest, playcount is only an issue in the early days of building up your collection stats. After a few weeks or months, depending on the size of your collection and listening habits, the playcount becomes less useful except in cases where you've never listened to a track because you've just added it. If there are tracks you don't like and have skipped, they won't show up again unless you make them do so.
Or perhaps I don't understand exactly why you don't like the way it works now.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Nukm
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:combine the two - tracks you haven't played in last 30 days, with a score of greater than n.

it was just an example btw.
but that would only help for new tracks. if i have played some songs over and over in the past, the score is set high. now i wasnt in the mood for it and skipped it a few times, the score is still going to be high, so it wont come up in my list although in fact i did not _listen_ to the track in the last 30 days, it just shuffeled in or whatever..

dangle_wtf wrote:To be honest, playcount is only an issue in the early days of building up your collection stats. After a few weeks or months, depending on the size of your collection and listening habits, the playcount becomes less useful except in cases where you've never listened to a track because you've just added it. If there are tracks you don't like and have skipped, they won't show up again unless you make them do so.
Or perhaps I don't understand exactly why you don't like the way it works now.

:(  i thought i explained it well in the last post...
well, to break it down on my main point: imho the play count is there to count how often i have listened to a track. but right now it counts how often the track got selected... why would you wanna count that?
dangle_wtf
i think you're mistaking amarok for a sentient being. that only happens on irc.  :cool:

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"