This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transferring Videos on iPod

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
khymon
Registered Member

Transferring Videos on iPod

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:06 am
Hello all!

First of all: I´ve searched the forum concerning my topic and I´ve found some threads, but on one side, I am confused about video formats and on the other side, I didn´t manage to succesfully transfer videos onto my iPod 5th g 30GB black (which, btw, is double-boot iPod-OS and rockbox, but it doesn´t work with both systems)

To get started, here is the command I am using to convert my videos:

Code: Select all
$ ffmpeg -i input.avi -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -maxrate 1000 -b 700 -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 4096 -g 300 -acodec aac -ar 44100 -ab 192 -s 320x240 -aspect 4:3 output.mp4

This works fine. When I use Amarok 1.4.7 (under KDE 3.5.8, Kubuntu Feisty) to transfer videos, I get no error. But: I don´t find any of the videos on the iPod, although I am sure they are somewhere.

Can somebody please help me?

Regards,
Khymon
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer

Re: Transferring Videos on iPod

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:14 am
make sure that you have made known your ipod model to amarok/libgpod and give a .m4v extension to the video (then it won't transfer unless amarok thinks your ipod supports videos).
khymon
Registered Member

Re: Transferring Videos on iPod

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:07 am
Okay, thanks so far, I now managed to succesfully transfer the video with Amarok. But there is still one thing left: The video appears with no filename in the list. As Amarok doesn´t seem to be able to change this, the question is: What to do about this? I´ve read something about "tagging mp4 files", but I wonder if this is the best way? Or (if this is possible) should this already be done at encoding time?

Regards,
Khymon