This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

General Question about adiobooks

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
khymon
Registered Member

General Question about adiobooks

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:58 am
Hello all!

I am slowly getting into some details about iPods (especially new Nano with actual firmware). What I came now across is audiobooks.
What I didn´t find out yet is how audiobooks differ from mp3-files. Can somebody answer this?

As I know that mp3-files can also be used as audiobooks, the next question would be how mp3-players, especially the iPod do differentiate between normal mp3 and audiobooks? I guess it might be solved with id3 tags, but I am not sure about this. Can anybody please clear the fog for me?

Regards,
Khymon
Martin Aumueller
KDE Developer

Re: General Question about adiobooks

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 pm
.m4b and .aa files should be listed as audiobooks. Starting with Amarok 1.4.8, also files with genre Audiobook should be treated as such. But I don't know if there is some agreed standard.
khymon
Registered Member
Thanks for the answer, but that doen´t take my knowledge very higher. I am still not sure about the difference between mp3 and m4b files. Can somebody please clear this?

Regards,
Khymon
dangle_wtf

Re: General Question about adiobooks

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 pm
m4b files contain bookmark/chapter data, according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

Audio-only MPEG-4 files generally have a .m4a extension. This is especially true of non-protected content.

* MPEG-4 files with audio streams encrypted by FairPlay Digital Rights Management as sold through the iTunes Store use the .m4p extension.
    * Audio book and podcast files, which also contain metadata including chapter markers, images, and hyperlinks, can use the extension .m4a, but more commonly use the .m4b extension. An .m4a audio file cannot "bookmark" (remember the last listening spot), whereas .m4b extension files can. Users can rename .mp4 or .m4a file extensions to .m4b to activate these features.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
khymon
Registered Member
Okay. Thanks for the info!

Regards,
Khymon