This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok Linux - How to Give Users Root Priveleges to Run Amarok as Root

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tmort
Registered Member
I just installed Amarok on my FC7 computer so I could access an MP3 player.  I see that I have to log in as root to use it.

I couldn't find a binary called amarok and am wondering how to assign root privileges to a user.

Thanks
dangle_wtf
Sounds fishy... generally you shouldn't have to run Amarok as root - are you sure you don't just need to add the user to the audio group?

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
tmort
Registered Member
The thread I found saying that I could connect to my Creative Zen V+ said it could only see the device as root and that seems to be the case in my install.  I can connect and see the device as root but not as user
Hans
Administrator
OS
You can always use
Code: Select all
kdesu amarok
. Although I wouldn't recommend it.

[guess] Do you use HAL/udev? Maybe you have to add the user to plugdev group? [/guess]

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
marcel
Registered Member
OS
There are clearly ways to make your mp3 player accessible for a normal user. You should consider this instead of running arbitrary applications as root.

Look at hal/udev or libgpod (if you use it, you might find information solving your rights problem)
sturd
Registered Member
Could this be the old 'compile the application as root' trick?  Making the build executables, executable only with the root user?
tmort
Registered Member
I don't see any clues in libgpod and I don't have a hal/udev.

Any other suggestions
marcel
Registered Member
OS
What I am saying is that your normal user seems to have no rights to access the ipod. You probably need to add your user to a specific group or change the rights of a file in /dev to make it accessible for your user.
tmort
Registered Member
Do you know what file that might be called?

Thanks
Hans
Administrator
OS
If you don't use hal/udev (are you sure about this?), couldn't it be something in fstab that needs to be changed?

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
dangle_wtf
Perhaps the original poster could offer some more information about their installed software and media device...

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
tmort
Registered Member
I have a creative zen v+ and have amarok 1.4 on a fedora 7 machine and also have gnomad2 installed