This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Selective scrobbling from an ipod

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
imported-junglebarry
Registered Member

Selective scrobbling from an ipod

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:56 am
I'm reasonably new to Amarok, and have been scrobbling tracks of my iPod for a while using a custom script. When I started using Amarok for this, I found that it scrobbled *everything* I listened to, whereas I could filter out certain artists using my custom script. I'd like to do this because I'm in a band, and we record our practice sessions and listen back (or perhaps I'm too ashamed to admit my love of Barbie Girl to the last.fm public...), and I clearly don't want to look like an egomaniac.

Is there any way to filter track submissions to last.fm, when scrobbling from Amarok, and especially when scrobbling from an iPod using Amarok? If not, to whom should I address a feature request?

Cheers,
D
markey
KDE Developer
OS
No, it's not possible. And the way I see it, it shouldn't be possible anyway. Either last.fm reflects your listening habits, or it doesn't. Manipulating the stats makes no sense I think.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
tante
Registered Member
Actually a few blacklisting words might make sense:

I'm not ashamed for whatever I am listening to, but I listen to spoken word a lot when trying to sleep but if that would all be published to last.fm my personal radio would be pretty much worthless because it would not contain mostly music anymore. Just as an example.

"Governments can be useful to the governed only so long as inherent
tendencies toward tyranny are restrained."
Frank Herbert, 'God Emperor Of Dune'
imported-junglebarry
Registered Member
I can appreciate your opinion on this (that stats should not be modifiable), but I would argue that there are many situations where removing certain things is desirable. Either way, since last.fm allows manual manipulation (you can remove tracks in the "recent tracks" section for up to 2 weeks), they clearly don't see a problem with it.

You have answered my question, however, so many thanks!
nico_h
Registered Member
i think that selective scrobbling does make sense.

problem is not really that it affects my profile. i had this bad idea to listen to some **** just to know what it was and as i already had quite a lot of songs in my last fm profile, i thought that wouldn't change much so i just didn't care. but i happened then to get very strange recommendations (music & gigs) !

a first solution could be then to take care deactivating scrobbling before listening to music we don't like... or clean the profile before it's too late (as junglebarry pointed out, last.fm let us delete songs from profile during two weeks after listening to them).

but that's not practical and not always possible : for instance a friend of mine happened to live here for some weeks and added some  :redface:  songs on my computer and inserted them in my playlist. well i wouldn't prevent anyone to listen to music, i don't have to impose "my" music all the time. but then to avoid getting weird recommendations i have to look for these songs in my profile and to delete them. it's annoying.

well that's my opinion.

have a nice day  :smilie: