This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

colors and magnatunes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Cathbard
Registered Member

colors and magnatunes

Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:51 am
I'm having a small problem making my themes look how I want to. I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. My themes require a dark color scheme to match the background image so i recommend what colors to use as a custom color scheme (also, is it possible to do this inside the css style?) but when a dark background is set it makes the magnatunes window illegible. It's like Disaster Areas's stunt ship - black writing on a black background with a black button that lights up black.
Is there a way to define the magnatunes window color independent from the color scheme? Either that or some other way of achieving the same sort of result like changing the text colour inside that window? I've searched around for answers but I've drawn a blank. Any ideas?

Last edited by Cathbard on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf

Re: colors and magnatunes

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:53 pm
I guess you're using your kde theme as Amarok's theme, rather than the "funky monkey" one?

Sounds like there might be some inconsistency between the different sidebar pages - might be worth attaching a screenshot to a bug report at bugs.kde.org comparing another tab (say the collection one) with the magnatune one.

edit: oh, and ++++ for the hhttg ref  :biggrin:

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Cathbard
Registered Member

Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:30 am
You are correct, I'm not using funky monkey. I do recommend that one for the kanotix theme I created but I would far prefer a custom color selection for it. The other themes clash terribly with funky monkey. I provide themes for other people (I have a debian repo) and the color scheme problem is the biggest downfall. With the way it is at the moment I can only offer half a theme because the main colors aren't part of it so the theme only affects half of the player's appearance. I can live with providing a recommended color scheme even if that is sub-optimal but the magnatunes issue puts a real spanner in the works.
An option to include a color scheme in the css style and have that follow through into all of the windows including the magnatunes one would be a real bonus. What is really needed I suppose is a means of including a color scheme and an option to "use theme colors" along with the other color options already available. Perhaps I should follow up this with a request for that with the devs because I would really like to create more themes but this restriction is a bit of a bugbear.

PS: I have filed a bug report as you suggested - bug 160593

[img]http://cathbard.com/images/amarok-magnatunes-1.png[/img]

Last edited by Cathbard on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangle_wtf

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:25 am
At this stage, most devs are concentrating on Amarok2 - Not sure what the themeing capabilities will be, but now would be the time to get involved ;)

Address for the mailing list is on https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/amarok

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Cathbard
Registered Member

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:38 am
Yes it seems my bug report has been cleared off due to amarok 1 being frozen and work being moved to amarok 2 for KDE4. Oh well, I'm not very impressed with KDE4, esp with it's lack of backwards compatibility. I consider that to be a bit of a slap in the face to all the people in the community that have worked so hard on providing themes that will be longer usable - "so long and thanks for all the fish". :wink: I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and convert everything if I'm going to continue to produce KDE art. Worse things happen at sea I suppose.
In amarok's case it may be a chance to provide extra options and a chance to create more comprehensive theming because that side of things is a bit scant atm. I suppose that backwards compatibility is probably not quite as important for amarok in that regard because of that. Your suggestion to join the mailing list is not a bad one, I may just do that.