This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Composer search in wikipedia

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
imported-Manolete
Registered Member

Composer search in wikipedia

Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:13 am
Besides the possibility to search info about "artist" in wikipedia I think it'd be a good idea to add the feature to search info about a track's composer. It would be rather useful for classical or film music or simply for those who like usually distinguish between interpreters/players ("artist"), and creators of music in their audio files' tags.

Cheers.
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Composer search in wikipedia

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:47 am
That s something we will keep in mind for Amarok 2
Manolete
Registered Member
OS

Re: Composer search in wikipedia

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:32 pm
Has been any progress about this? The Wikipedia search feature is completely useless if you have tags like:

Title: I. Adoración de la Tierra. 1. Introducción
Composer: Stravinski, Ígor
Album: La consagración de la primavera
Artist: O. F. Israel - L. Bernstein

Since Amarok searches using the Artist tag, it obviously won't get any search result from Wikipedia (doesn't matter not to use abreviatures, "Orquesta Filarmónica de Israel - Leonard Bernstein" doesn't get any result either).
I think the inclusion of the Composer and Album tags in the searches would be nice, and of course which of these three different search criteria will be used should be configurable by the user.

Although to be honest I think that a "Work title" tag or something like that should be added, since many times an album's name isn't the same as the works'. Think of those albums with 2 or 3 piano sonatas, soundtracks of different films, even selections of different albums by some pop/rock band. What should be put in the album tag? the real album name?; if so, how to find a concrete work wehn searching in our music collection? Should I remember, for example, that Ligeti's 2nd piece of "Musica recercata" isn't catalogued under "Ligeti" nor under "Musica recercata" but under some weird Stanley Kubrick film soundtracks' compilation by various composers and artists?.
I suppose the Album tag wasn't meant to cataloge individual works, but since Amarok lacks a better alternative I think most people who wants to catalogue like my examples have had to use this workaround; but I found that absence too simplistic for a really useful clasification of music collections.
What do Amarok devs think?

Regards