This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Various Questions

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thevjm
Registered Member

Various Questions

Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:43 pm
I'm just starting to use Amarok, and I like it a lot. The context feature is really nice. But I have one question. How do I just view all the songs I have at once, instead of going through the collection? I prefer an iTunes type thing. Is this possible in Amarok?

Last edited by thevjm on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Browse All Music At Once

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:46 am
You can change the settings of the collection to sort by album directly, this will give you a list of all your albums. I don't know if this is what you are looking for.
thevjm
Registered Member

Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:27 pm
Actually, I figured out how to do the random playlist, so I am happy. :p

One more question: How do I organize my entire music collection into custom directories based on their tags? I can do it with songs I highlight, but that's kind of inefficient when I am constantly adding music. How can I make it do it automatically?
dangle_wtf

Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:57 pm
In the Files Browser, browse to the location of your music. right-click the top-level of the music structure, and "move files to collection". This will bring up the "Organise Files" dialogue. Be warned though... if your tagging is not thorough, you will end up with music in unpredictable locations. If you have an existing music structure, better to organise your files in smaller batches so you don't have as much to fix if you muck it up!

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
thevjm
Registered Member

Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:44 pm
dangle_wtf wrote:In the Files Browser, browse to the location of your music. right-click the top-level of the music structure, and "move files to collection". This will bring up the "Organise Files" dialogue. Be warned though... if your tagging is not thorough, you will end up with music in unpredictable locations. If you have an existing music structure, better to organise your files in smaller batches so you don't have as much to fix if you muck it up!

That worked, but when I add more music to that folder, it is still unorganized. Is there any way Amarok could detect when a file isn't organized, then organize it?
dangle_wtf

Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:25 am
Nope - and I'd personally regard that as a safety feature ;)

One way I use to add music to my collection, is rather than copying things manually into the directory, I use Amarok to browse to the holding location where I dump all new music, and use the "move files to collection" option, after I've made sure the tags are all correct. This is a good way to make sure that things go where they should.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
thevjm
Registered Member

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:07 am
Fair enough. :cool:

But just a couple more things.

Just a few moments ago, Amarok was displaying the album art located in my track's tags. Now it isn't. I didn't change any settings relating to album art, and I am positive the art is embedded in the track.

Also, is it possible to save the album art "fetched" from Amazon in the tags rather than Amarok's cache?