This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Feature Request] Deezer: Permalinks as normal song files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fourminux
Registered Member
Hello,
I would be interested in a specific feature:
Could Amarok 2 store permalinks in playlist, just like normal songs?  :biggrin: (with a little icon to show that it's a streaming file).
In my point of view, Deezer offers even greater possibilities than Lastfm does:

The permalinks would be stored into the Amarok playlist, as favorites (even if it is not possible on the website, i.e. http://www.deezer.com/track/5254 )
You can hear a whole selection of the artist songs directly.
Playlist could be further synchronized with the deezer playlists.

I saw also nice features in aTunes ;)
As I'm quite new to Amarok, I was also asking myself if it does have a feature for an album selection and list of tracks when the song is recognized (like in aTunes).

Last edited by fourminux on Mon May 05, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourminux
Registered Member
No feedback about the idea?  :eek:
eean
KDE Developer
OS
I'm not sure what you mean by permalinks. And what's aTunes?

Amarok Developer
fourminux
Registered Member
aTunes is an equivalent GPL Music Player written in Java http://www.atunes.org/
Which has the following features:
- easy tagging functions
- album cover
- related albums list from the same artist
- list of related artists
- lyrics of played song
Here some pics
fourminux
Registered Member
Concerning Deezer, the Permalinks are, like you can see it on the picture, one link corresponding to a specific song.
Thus a music file stored on my PC is corresponding to the link "/home/me/music/dire straits/10 - brother_in_arms.ogg"
and can be added to the playlist. A song retrieved from Deezer would correspond to an internet link "http://www.deezer.com/track/108887".
The interesting thing would be to have a playlist Dire Straits without distinction between stored music files and some songs which remain on the internet, that I would then read in Streaming from Amarok (as far as I'm connected).
Hope I made it clearer.
Thanks
eean
KDE Developer
OS
yea I still don't understand. you should maybe explain what you would use it for and how the user would use it.

Amarok Developer
fourminux
Registered Member
The sense of all this is to add to  a playlist, some music which is in reality online on Deezer or other streaming platforms, just as if it would be another normal song.
My Playlist for Dire Straits would then integer all the mp3 from my albums (stored on my computer) and could add to the same playlist songs which are actually stored on deezer.
Since now, Amarok is only able to play songs which are stored on the PC (off-line) and Deezer is only able to play songs which are on its portal => 2 players
The permalinks are, on my sense, the mean to handle it.
Hope it becomes clearer.
dangle_wtf
so what you really want, is for Amarok to manage your bookmarks?

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Of course Amarok can play online streams...

Amarok Developer
fourminux
Registered Member
Then it means that Amarok is able to read streaming from Deezer and it remains just to find a way to:
- offer a Search song/artist/album on Deezer function embedded in Amarok (search+results)
- gather the corresponding permalinks, to insert the song within my existing playlists
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Feel free to email amarok@kde.org with info about whatever API Deezer has for external applications. In Amarok 2.0 we have a plugin system for adding Internet services in a generic way.

If they don't have an API, it won't really be possible.

Amarok Developer
fourminux
Registered Member
Thanks for your feedback  :smilie:
I don't think they do have an API (yet), but I'll ask them for it.
fourminux
Registered Member
Update:

Actually they are developping a Widget, as far as I could find out.
Maybe some join efforts could be benefical.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
A widget for plasma or what?

Amarok Developer
fourminux
Registered Member
No, its not a Plasmoid (yet), it seems to be a widget you can embed into your website:
http://www.deezer.com/blog/en/
I think that joint work between Amarok and Deezer may have potential, as Deezer becomes one of the most popular music streaming portals.
Conventional media players may have to compete with online media players, if music player software don't integrate fully with this streaming sites.