This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transcoding

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
netstruggler
Registered Member

Transcoding

Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 pm
Hi All,

I've just started using Amarok to manage my IPOD Classic.  I've set up my collection and successfully transferred all my mp3s to the player.

However...

I also have a few thousand ogg and flac files which I would like to transcode 'on the fly' as they are transferred.  It seems that either of the transKode or Amakode scripts should be able to do this but I'm having trouble with both of them.

amakode fails right at the start with..

Code: Select all
[amaKode] Started.
[amaKode] Using tagpy
[amaKode] No config file found, using defaults.
[amaKode] transcoding file:///var/autofs/smb/music/Alison%20Moyet/The%20Essential%20Alison%20Moyet/04_Love%20Resurrection.ogg to mp3
[amaKode] Creating job
[amaKode] can decode with ['ogg123', '-d', 'wav', '-f', '-', '-']
[amaKode] can encode with ['lame', '--abr', '128', '-', '-']
[amaKode] Job added
[amaKode] Starting job
[amaKode] Outputting to /tmp/transcode-9nSdzJ.mp3 file:///tmp/transcode-9nSdzJ.mp3)
[amaKode] Errors to /tmp/transcode-QfB3tt.log
[amaKode] Failed to start - 'Boost.Python.function' object has no attribute 'strip'
[amaKode] job is done
[amaKode] Job file:///var/autofs/smb/music/Alison%20Moyet/The%20Essential%20Alison%20Moyet/04_Love%20Resurrection.ogg failed - 'Boost.Python.function' object has no attribute 'strip'
[amaKode] signalled exit

I'm guessing it's a dependency issue, but can't see what I'm missing.

The transKode script is slightly more interesting.

It basically works, but hangs after a few files have been transferred.  Clicking on the Amarok window sets it off again.

As far as I can tell, lame is not finishing cleanly, leaving a zombie process, and Amarok does not trigger the next file until I click its window.  This means I cannot leave it to chug through all my files.  I've seen reports of similar issues, but no resolution.

Can anyone help me with either issue?

I'm running fedora FC7 X86_64 kernel 2.6.23.15-80.fc7

Amarok 1.4.9.1, transKode 0.7 and amakode 1.5.  I've tried both the package and compiled versions.

Thanks in advance.
netstruggler
Registered Member

Re: Transcoding

Sat May 10, 2008 8:51 pm
An update:

..well I didn't get anywhere with transKode.  I tried 0.6 but that kept stalling just the same.  It's just too wierd and unrepeatable.

However I do have amakode working now.

I don't really understand this stuff so I tried all sorts of things.  Since the log was complaining about the 'strip' attribute I tried removing it, replacing

self['album'] = self.tagInfo.album.strip()
        self['artist'] = self.tagInfo.artist.strip()
        self['title'] = self.tagInfo.title.strip()
        self['comment'] = self.tagInfo.comment.strip()
        self['year'] = self.tagInfo.year
        self['genre'] = self.tagInfo.genre.strip()
        self['track'] = self.tagInfo.track

with

self['album'] = self.tagInfo.album()
        self['artist'] = self.tagInfo.artist()
        self['title'] = self.tagInfo.title()
        self['comment'] = self.tagInfo.comment()
        self['year'] = self.tagInfo.year()
        self['genre'] = self.tagInfo.genre()
        self['track'] = self.tagInfo.track()

I'm not sure I have that quite right yet(particularly the difference between strings and integers) but I'm clearly on the right track because it's working now.  At least the songs are being transcoded onto my IPOD with album and track name correct and with the genre, albumart and track order correct.

Can't think why I had to make the change.  Maybe I have a newer/older version of python-tag or boost or something??

Anyway, I thought I'd let you know.