This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

iPod covers getting messed up

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kolibeer
Registered Member

iPod covers getting messed up

Mon May 26, 2008 9:30 am
Hi!

I did some search before posting and didn't find an answer to my problem. In fact I haven't even found anyone having a similar problem.

I started using iPod Nano Silver (8GB) with Fedora 8 some time ago (yeah, I had to update amarok and libgtkpod myself but it worked all fine). Recently I moved to Kubuntu 8.04 (using default amarok and libgtkpod version). I'm not sure if my problem has started just before or just after the move but it might be important.

The problem itself is that recently my iPod covers have gotten totally messed up - it displays wrong covers to wrong albums. If I transfer a new album to the iPod in most cases it lands with an empty cover and the cover for this album is attached to a different one. Really strange - looks like the covers are arranged truly randomly :). "Update artwork" says something like "1214 tracks updated" but nothing is really changing.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know any solution to this? I really like the covers feature of the iPod and I'm truly missing it...

Cheers,
Maciek Wojciechowski

PS. Another thing that has changed (beside linux distro) is that I uploaded an album without a cover at that time. Could it be it that messed the covers? No idea...
PS2. Apart from the covers everything works just find. And yeah - I'm always syncing and ejecting the iPod...
starenka
Registered Member

Re: iPod covers getting messed up

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:11 pm
same problem, same distro, nano 3g 8GB black :(

Never eat yellow snow.
wb34
Registered Member

Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:47 pm
I just got a second gen. 4 gb nano, all NONE of my album covers show up when I play songs, even though most of them do have them in amarok.  On my old 1st gen 2GB, it worked.  What gives??!
starenka
Registered Member

Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:21 am
i figured out that it works if you "update covers" and "disconnect" (i also have kdeeject as a post-disconnect and, synchronize option checked)

Never eat yellow snow.
kolibeer
Registered Member

Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:35 pm
This one didn't work for me either.

I've used a more hardcore approach:
1. Deleted the Artwork directory
2. Clicked "Update Artwork"

and...

nothing happened! --- the Artwork directory's content was nor recreated

So I've decided to add a new album to see whether the new covers would show up. And to my surprise during "Flushing the output cache" (or something like that) the directory has gotten restored... I'm not totally sure but it might be that there is a bug in Amarok - when I click "Update Artwork" it gets updated but actually only in cache. And during disconnect the cache is not flushed. You might want to check that yourself...

The other thing is that the Artwork directory is > 400MB right now. How can it be that I have 400MB covers for 7GB music? Is it "Ipod's feature" or "Amarok's feature"?

Long story short: I've got it working and if anybody googles for "iPod covers getting messed up" they will find this post :).