This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Global Shortcuts question

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
FokkerCharlie
Registered Member

Global Shortcuts question

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:31 am
Hi All

First of all- I think Amarok is ace.  I'm pretty new to Linux, and it's one of the apps that I couldn't do without.  However, I do have one niggle that I can't quite get around:

I am running Ubuntu (Hardy) on a shiny new Acer 5920 laptop.  The machine is equipped with, amongst other things, some media keys on the right hand side.  These aren't conventional buttons, but actually work like a touchpad, and so each key is now mapped as a mouse button (17-20).  I have used xbindkeys to map the buttons to key-presses, with a view to using them for Amarok's global shortcuts.

So, for instance, I have the play/pause button mapped to ctrl+alt+p, and this is reflected in Amarok's setup.  So, when Amarok is running in the foreground, I press the play/pause media button, and Amarok plays or pauses.  However, when Amarok is in the background or toolbar, the button does not work. But here's the really strange part- when I press ctrl+alt+p, Amarok plays/pauses, even when in the background.

I'm really befuddled by this, I can't see where the chain is breaking.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Charlie
FokkerCharlie
Registered Member

Re: Global Shortcuts question

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:01 am
Hmmmmm.

24 views, no answers!  Well, here's an alternative question:  Is it possible to map a mouse button directly as an Amarok global shortcut?  Eg button 17 = play/pause?  That would fix things right up.

Cheers
Charlie
FokkerCharlie
Registered Member

Re: Global Shortcuts question

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:20 am
Solved!

Changed my .xbindkeysrc to:

Code: Select all
#Mutlimedia Play/pause:
"xvkbd  -text "\[Control_L]\[Alt_L]\[p]""
    m:0x0 + b:17
#Stop:
"/usr/bin/xvkbd -text "\[Control_L]\[Alt_L]\""
   m:0x0 + b:18
#Multimedia fwd/back:
"/usr/bin/xvkbd -text "\[Control_L]\[Alt_L]\[z]""
    m:0x0 + b:19
"/usr/bin/xvkbd -text "\[Control_L]\[Alt_L]\[x]""
    m:0x0 + b:20

(Removed -xsendevent from the code entirely).  Now it works perfectly.

Cheerio!
Charlie