This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why did Amarok need to rescan?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Luke Drillhead
Registered Member

Why did Amarok need to rescan?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:38 am
I have Amarok on two PCs.  One is a Pentium III with 256 MB of RAM and a 60 GB hard drive.  The other is a dual core Athlon 64 3800 with 1 GB of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive.  The Pentium III is my juke box hooked up to my home entertainment center.  The Athlon is the computer in my office. 

I want to edit my musical collection on my Athlon machine since it will obviously perform better than the Pentium III and is in the comfort of my office.  According to my research, what I need to copy from the Pentium III are all my MP3s, plus these files:

directory---> ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/
/home/tom/.kde/share/apps/amarok

file---> /home/tom/.kde/share/config/amarokrc

All my MP3s are in sub-folders under Linux's standard Music folder.  Amarok knows to look there. 

So here's the deal.  I copied all those files from the Pentium III onto the Athlon in the correct locations, but Amarok still had to rescan the collection.  Shouldn't Amarok have already known the collection because it got the database files from the other computer?  I do notice all my playlists are in tact. 
dangle_wtf

Re: Why did Amarok need to rescan?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:56 am
Because you copied the files, the directory timestamps changed, triggering the rescan. If you want to avoid this, uncheck "watch folders for changes" on the collection page in Amarok settings.

Last edited by dangle_wtf on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Luke Drillhead
Registered Member

Re: Why did Amarok need to rescan?

Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:22 am
Thanks for the help.  At least now I know I did it correctly.