This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Do both PCs have to have the same version of Ubuntu?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Luke Drillhead
Registered Member
I have Ubuntu and Amarok on two PCs, a Pentium III w/ 256 MB of RAM and an Athlon 64 3800 dual core.  The goal is for the Pentium III to be my juke box computer, but I'll edit the music collection on the Athlon machine.  I'll therefore be swapping the Amarok database, config, and MP3 files from machine to machine via network.  Right now the network doesn't quite work right yet, so I've been sneaker-netting them for now with an external hard drive.  I edited a bunch of stuff on the Athlon and then copied all that data to the Pentium III.  It worked great.  So far so good.  AT the time, I had Ubuntu 8.04 on each machine.  However, I was having NVIDIA driver problems on the Athlon machine, so I reverted it back to Ubuntu 7.10, which seemed to help.  I installed Amarok and copied the music collection back over, including the database, the config, and the MP3 files.  However, Amarok is having problems.  When I start it, it says it needs to install the ability to play MP3s.  So I let it install that, but Amarok can't play anything in my collection.  When close and restart Amarok, I get the message again that says it needs to install MP3 support.  I let it install, but I have the same problem.  I can't play the music. 

Are these problems because of the two different versions of Ubuntu?  Do I need to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 onto the Athlon machine to make this work? 
marcel
Registered Member
OS
Please read the FAQ (See Infobase on Amarok website)