This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok updates collection every 30 seconds?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
atomic
Registered Member
Amarok suddenly started updating my collection every 10-30 seconds...

I was using Amarok that shipped with Ubuntu Gutsy(1.4.8?) so I thought perhaps it was just that version. I built 1.4.9 from source, it has the same behavior. I can stop this behavior by unchecking watch folders, but that is a feature I like. That way i dont maunually have to update my collection. Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

thanks
Steve
dangle_wtf
Are you downloading new music into a watched folder?
If so, try downloading to a folder outside your collection and moving the music when the download is complete.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
atomic
Registered Member
Music is always downloaded outside of watched folders, then moved into collection folder...

computer can be doing nothing, not even playing music but amarok still updates every 30 secs.
Musikhörer
Registered Member
I am experiencing the same problem: I am also using Ubuntu Gutsy and Amarok wants to update the collection every few seconds. Apart from high disk usage this also leads to another problem: the CPU load caused by mysql grows up to 98%! This is reproduceable: as soon as I deselected the option "watch collection" everything runs normal. When I tell amarok to watch the collection mysql jams the system.
casakiller
Registered Member
dazdazdazdddddddddd
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Disable "Watch folders for changes" in the collection settings. Instead, click "Update Collection" manually after you have added to music.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Musikhörer
Registered Member
Turning off this option was my first response and solved the problem for me. But I wonder if this is normal and desired behaviour of amarok? Is it supposed to check the folders every 30 seconds?
dangle_wtf
Well, it is, and it isn't.
It's normal for Amarok to detect changes to watched folders which trigger a collection update. The fact that it's doing it at such a frequency suggests that *something* on your system is touching a watched folder on a regular basis - I suspect something that's part of ubuntu's background "stuff".
I'd have a look with something like sarge to see what the culprit could be.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Musikhörer
Registered Member
It it possible that the file system's journaling is the one to blame? I'm using ext3 on that partition and if I remember correctly, the journal is committed every 5 seconds. Could it be that Amarok's mistakes the writing of the journal as a chance to the folder containing the music collection?
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Not really. Amarok uses the folder mtime for the check, which should not be affected by filesystem journaling.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Musikhörer
Registered Member
Of course your right about mtime. It was an idea that crossed my mind, because I there is nothing else that accesses the collection or the partition containing the collection.

Besides: if Amarok uses mtime stamp, it would have to be some program that alters mtime every few seconds. I don't know such a program and I wouldn't install it willingly either.