This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mint Elyssa and Amarok - a Newbie Asks

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Robfuscate
Registered Member
Hi All,

After trying many, many flavours of Linux, I installed Linux Mint on my Laptop. No other distro would load without some sort of problem ... luckily, I like Mint!

I did have Mint 4 Daryna and was mostly happy with it, and i particularly liked Amarok which worked fine and did the things I wanted it to do with aplomb.

I have just installed Mint 5 Elyssa to sort some of the other things that I wasn't happy with , but find that now Amarok is not there by default.

It is IMPORTANT to note that I have no 'net access in the wilds where I live, but can download stuff at work.

So. My question(s)

Is Amarok compatible with Elyssa?
Can I download it separately on a Wndows machine and then transfer it to my Mint Machine?
If yes, in simple language, how do i do this?
Or should i just go back to Daryna?

Please bear in mind that I am a real Newbie and am using my laptop to get a feel for Linux before the next step of using it for my Jukebox and then my Main PC ... eventually.

Cheers,

Rob
imported-abhishektux
Registered Member
Mint is after all linux.. It should work with mint and it is a very trivial issue that there is no amarok there by default because most distros dont have amarok by default...Yes you can dowload and install it in your distro.I would suggest doing that using the package manager which comes with mint .Downloading the tarball from the main site would be very inconvenient .Good luck ;)
tbocek
Registered Member
He said he doesn't have internet at his house, downloading with the package manager is out.

Unfortunately, getting Amarok to run on your PC without internet access is probably going to be a *very* frustrating exercise.  I don't have time to look at the instructions right now but in general you will need to download the source for Amarok *and* any dependencies, take it home, then build and install Amarok.

A better option, if you can find one, is some sort of pre-packaged distribution, but I have no idea if any exist for Mint.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Linux Mint is a gnome-centered distro, which makes it less than ideal for Amarok, especially if you don't have Internet access at home.

We Amarok developers mostly recommend Kubuntu, which is KDE based, easy to use, and comes with Amarok by default.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer