This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok and Gnome...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
imported-xeriouxi
Registered Member

Amarok and Gnome...

Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 am
Hi there!

I'm heavily considering switching over to Linux (Ubuntu, to be precise) from Windows soon. I've read up about Amarok and it seems to be getting pretty good press! However I notice it's a KDE app and I've heard little problems here and there about using it in a Gnome environment. I know you can install the dependancies in Ubuntu for KDE apps, but it's never going to beat the application being run in a native environment.

My question is that as this (as far as I am aware... forgive the Windows users' information on licencing, hehe!) is open source, is it not possible to write a Gnome frontend for Amarok? I know there's a pretty big demand for native usage in Gnome, and it would most certainly grab the Ubuntu distribution choice of music player in my eyes. I'd be more than willing to donate to this if it is possible... which leads me to ask is it possible? Would this be an astronomical task to do?

Thanks in advance for answering the newbies questions! Keep up the nice work! =)
dangle_wtf

Re: Amarok and Gnome...

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:47 am
It would somewhat defeat the purpose :) Many people use Amarok just fine in gnome, but if you really must go native, you could have a look at some of the other players. Banshee springs to mind, there are probably others.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
imported-xeriouxi
Registered Member

Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:49 am
dangle_wtf wrote:It would somewhat defeat the purpose :) Many people use Amarok just fine in gnome, but if you really must go native, you could have a look at some of the other players. Banshee springs to mind, there are probably others.

Defeat what purpose? True, there are alternatives, but none have as many features as Amarok in one package. Either way I was just curious if it ever had plans to expand it's userbase or not! =)
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:02 am
Why not simply use KDE, if you like KDE applications?

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
imported-xeriouxi
Registered Member

Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:02 am
Well that's the thing... Amarok is unfortunately the only KDE application that I like, hehe! Guess it's my bad taste! =D
front243
Registered Member

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:09 am
You could try Exaile on Ubuntu. It aims to do more or less what Amarok does but under Gnome.

That said Amarok runs fine in Ubuntu. I am using it because I don't find Exaile as polished as Amarok, but check it out you might have a different opinion.
seeker5528
Registered Member

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:03 am
xeriouxi wrote:Hi there!

I'm heavily considering switching over to Linux (Ubuntu, to be precise) from Windows soon. I've read up about Amarok and it seems to be getting pretty good press! However I notice it's a KDE app and I've heard little problems here and there about using it in a Gnome environment.

I've been using Amarok in a Gnome environment mostly in Debian, but in Hardy as well and had no problems that you could blame on Gnome, possibly some issues with the pulse audio stuff, but that's a whole other basket of fish, not specifically Gnome related.

Later, Seeker
dai_vernon
Registered Member

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:42 am
Hi, Amarokers

I'm a very satisfied Amarok user, but I'm wondering about its customizability in GNOME.

I have a custom icon set that I use for my system, and I would very much prefer to use them in Amarok as well.  How does one replace the icons in Amarok with a custom set?  Is there a config file I must modify to point to the new icons?
imported-shiny
Registered Member

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 pm
[quote author=dai_vernon link=topic=15582.msg23349#msg23349 date=1217911373
I have a custom icon set that I use for my system, and I would very much prefer to use them in Amarok as well.  How does one replace the icons in Amarok with a custom set?  Is there a config file I must modify to point to the new icons?
[/quote]

You need to find a similar or same iconset for KDE, probably on KDE-look.org (most gnome iconsets have a kde equivalent and vice versa). Next, youll need to install kcontrol, it's probably in the kdebase package. Then run kcontrol, go to appereance>icons, point it to the downloaded theme and click apply. That way all kde apps (including amarok ) will use the  new icon set.

Cheers!
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:41 pm
For Amarok 2, things should be better. Gnome and KDE share a icon naming spec now.

Amarok Developer