This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Windowshade mode (winamp)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mighty pea
Registered Member
With Amarok coming to windows, I can finally use it (I do use Linux, but only every now and then to check the progress. I need a lot of windows-only software for job and hobby, unfortunately), but I have one request to make:

I hope this isn't something that has been requested (or implemented) before, as I did search, but is there any way to collapse Amarok to a windowshade mode, as in Winamp? This is basically a small bar with transport controls (play, stop, next etc...) that (while you can place it anywhere you like) I like to place it at the top of my screen, to the left of the min-/maximise/close buttons in windows. This way, I can see the track that's playing (by collapsing the playlist window, which leaves you with a thin bar that only displays the name of the current song) and control Winamp with the collapsed main window next to it. Double-clicking these brings up the Playlist and main window, respetively. It's something I've come to rely on greatly, and has kept me virtually locked to Winamp since no other media-player I've come across offers this functionality. I had been looking at Songbird with interest, especially since when I first came across it they promised windowshade functionality (before the first release), which they sadly didn't deliver on, but now that Amarok's coming to windows, I'm quite eager to switch to that, instead. It's one of those programs I always liked using in Linux, and wish I could use all the time.

Also, to clarify: I'm talking about the windowshades of the Winamp classic skins (2.0 skin-engine), as the modern skins usually either lack this, or have windowshades larger than a Windows titlebar, making them inconvenient for my purposes.

edit: Here's a screenshot of a setup similar to mine:Image
Obviously it's not much to look at with this skin, but that's besides the point :D

Last edited by mighty pea on Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mighty pea
Registered Member
Anyone?

I tried submitting this as an official 'wish', but I had to give specifics as to which kde I ran (and as I mentioned, I'm on windows) and more things that kept me from submitting.
I'd be interested in doing mockups, and actually helping out with the graphical side and testing.
I'm just getting really sick of winamp's stagnant development (the main innovator left some time ago, and it's only gone downhill since.), and love what I see of Amarok.
eean
KDE Developer
OS
Someone could easily write a script to do this. So if there's any demand at all for it, it will happen.

Amarok Developer
imported-shiny
Registered Member
It would be absolutely trivial to make in Kommander. Might take a look at it later, but don't hold your breath.